Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Matthew Aaron
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:01 pm

x

Monitors vs. Headphones for Mixing and Mastering

Forgive me if this has been discussed before and please hear me out before you default to "monitors you idiot".

I've been thinking about this more and more lately. Back in the early days of Hi-Fi stereos the average consumer primarily listened to their music on a stereo receiver/integrated amplifier with a decent set of fronts/towers. Knowing this it only makes sense that mixing and mastering was done in a controlled environment with a good set monitors.

When I was a teenager, I and most of my friends still listened to music on the home stereo system. The neighbourhood was loud. When you would walk down the street every sixth or seventh house you would hear music coming from either inside the house or from the garage. Either way it came from a stereo system. I've noticed that doesn't happen anymore. Headphones are the primary way people are listing to music outside of their car. Knowing that to be the case, are monitors really necessary for mixing or mastering? Or is it a left over "truth" of a time that has long since past; something that is not relevant to the way music is consumed/experience in today's society?

Savant has mixed several albums on beats by Dre. I can't help but think to myself, if they are the most popular headphones and headphones are the way most people are consuming your music, why wouldn't you master on them?

Thoughts?
Last edited by Matthew Aaron on Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FL Studio 4 Life
Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:10 pm

x

Re: Monitors vs. Headphones for Mixing and Mastering

I personally mix first on cans/ Manly because m...
Last edited by FL Studio 4 Life on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott
Site Admin
Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:13 am

x

Re: Monitors vs. Headphones for Mixing and Mastering

From the manual Can I use headphones? Yes you...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”