Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Blake Robinson
Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:57 pm

x

Patcher and routing automation to multi-channel VSTs

I've been experimenting with patcher recently and have had some issues with how to automate VSTs utilising multiple MIDI channels.

For example, my current workflow just consists of instances of Kontakt that I load multiple patches into and 16 MIDI Out generators all routed to the Wrapper's port. I've mapped the basic CCs to each MIDI Out and I just either program in the automation to the piano roll, or create automation clips where I need that kind of funtionality. It obviously all works fine - regardless of how I automate the knobs I have set up in the MIDI Out control, the CC data gets to Kontakt on the right port/channel:

I've been trying to create something similar in Patcher, but no matter what I try I can't get any automation from a Piano roll in the Step Sequencer to Kontakt inside Patcher. For example, I add a Patcher generator and inside it I create an instance of Kontakt 5. In 'From FL Studio' I activate the 'MIDI Port 1' Output event (the port I use for my first Kontakt instance) and I route that to Kontakt's Voice/MIDI In. I then use a MIDI out instance (outside of Patcher) to program the notes/automation:

This all works great for notes - they activate the right channel in Kontakt and play fine. The problem is that none of the CC automation gets through from the MIDI Out. Kontakt (and it's MIDI monitor) never receives any of the CC data on any channel (even though if I wiggle the MIDI Out knob mapped to CC1, the Patcher arrow is moving as if data is flowing from 'From FL Studio' to 'Wrapper')

I can't seem to find any solution on how to recreate my workflow inside Patcher at the moment. I tried setting up sliders on the Surface controls but that also didn't work because there's no way to map a slider's output to specific MIDI channels in Kontakt's Inputs->Parameters. I also tried creating a ton of MIDI Outs inside Patcher but this didn't work because I then had no way to change the MIDI Out controls from outside Patcher. The only remote solution I found was creating automation clips for each knob of the MIDI Out, but this seems impractical as you lose the benefits of editing automation in the piano roll for music where there's no repeating automation envelopes/sequences.

Is there any way to use Patcher with multiple MIDI channels in a VST at the moment? Am I missing something obvious? How is everyone achieving something like this at the moment? It does seem kind of bizarre that the VST inside Patcher receives the notes, it even shows the animation when CC data is sent - they just never seem to receive it. Is this a bug in patcher or is it intended behaviour?

9loops
Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:39 am

x

Re: Patcher and routing automation to multi-channel VSTs

You must activate the paramter by right clickin...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”