Just bought Beats headphones, was it a huge mistake?

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
LegendaryWang
Sun May 29, 2016 4:58 am

x

Just bought Beats headphones, was it a huge mistake?

Hey all,
I'm 26 and have been producing music almost 10 years now. I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD 518 for the past 5~ years now for my music production, as well as playing instruments, eg. my guitar and bass. Long story short; they are falling apart (ears/padding wearing down) and having some issues (cable getting frail and breaking up), thought I would pick up a new pair of headphones. Went to the local Best Buy to look around. I tried all their brands, including Skull Candy, a few others.

I ultimately picked out the Beats Studio headphones. I want to say, I did zero research before buying, and I'm also NOT some headphone aficionado to know what is the best. I really like the Beats so far. I been listening to them side by side with my old Sennheisers side-by-side tonight. I have to say; there's NOT a huge difference between the two... the Beats, yes, they are bassier. They have a bit more compression/EQ to their sound than a natural, clean sound. But, to my trained ear, it doesn't seem that huge of a difference to affect my music production. I like them, but after doing Googling/Research, I see people religiously hate Beats headphones, not only because of their celebrity status-quo image, but in general, they are just not as good as other headphones in their price range, which I paid $150 for them by the way. I also read that they are just NOT recommended for audio production. I was 100% fooled by the "studio" naming. I thought "studio" meant, well, for studio use, not just a gimmick!

What is all your opinions? After doing a lot of research, I'm thinking of returning the Beats headphones to Best Buy and ordering something more geared for music production. I'm still very on the fence. People have a lot of good things to say about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones. The only thing is, those are not noise cancelling; I will tell you now I 100% need noise cancelling headphones. By the way, for mastering/mixing I have M-Audio studiophile monitors. But I need some killer headphones with noise cancellation. I don't do vocals (yet but maybe in the future) and I product orchestral, metal, and EDM (yes, pretty wide genres!). Thanks for any advice/recommendations.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”