Can I just say how thankful I am for FL? Good lord...

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
megaphonix
Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:52 pm

x

Can I just say how thankful I am for FL? Good lord...

We use Logic Pro X for one of my university courses. I figured I'd buy a copy for myself as well and take the time to learn a new DAW in addition to FL by watching online video courses and tutorials...

Where do I even begin? FL is far and away the superior DAW for anything remotely creative. I will concede that LPX appears to have more advanced/"professional" capabilities and options, and definitely seems well-suited for audio-centric works, but anything with plugins or MIDI data is a complete mess compared to FL.

My main gripes with LPX so far:
  • No "panic" button/shortcut for immediately cutting all audio output when plugins get thrown into feedback loops or go awry (has happened a fair number of times so far)
  • Automation for parameters like pitch bend inexplicably keeps audibly "stepping" for some reason, despite a smooth line between two points... not sure what that's about and can't seem to find a solution
  • Automation in general is a mess. I can't enter a certain value for an automation point like I can in FL, and sometimes LPX will create an artificial upper bound for a certain parameter (i.e. 0.0 to 0.998 instead of just 1.0! Why???). Also, you can't do an automation "hold" (or instant change with two automation points on the exact same tick, unlike in FL where it works perfectly). Any volume adjustment takes at least one tick to complete, and zooming in to the tick level every time is quite cumbersome.
  • If I want to paste an audio region later on in the same track, I have to make sure that the proper track is selected, the proper region is selected, and the playhead is precisely where I want it. I can see why this allows for greater flexibility (you can put audio regions in any audio track without having to worry about it being "locked in" anywhere), but inevitably it's more trouble than it's worth when you select a region without also selecting the accompanying track.
  • MIDI manipulation is a nightmare. Confusing UIs on windows for simple transform functions like flipping horizontally or vertically, inability to quantize note lengths easily (seriously... SUCH A KEY FEATURE IN A MIDI ENVIRONMENT!), etc.
  • Sometimes the playhead will snap to the sixteenth note before or after a certain barline, even when zoomed out quite a bit. If I want to go to bar 32, more often than not I have to place my cursor with pixel accuracy to prevent it from going to bar 32 + 1/16th note. WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT THAT?
  • No "Play truncated notes on transport" option like in FL. Makes it a real hassle listening back to sections of a piece with 8 or 16 bar sustained notes...
  • Audio in general is also a mess. Time stretching doesn't work quite right 100% of the time and is very hard to use, project size gets very large with multiple copies of audio files and bounces, etc.
In conclusion, it's completely insane to me how anyone can work quickly, efficiently, and creatively in a DAW like Logic. In my opinion (and I suppose I'm a bit biased), FL is by far the better DAW in these key areas. So, thank you to the Image-Line team for making such a great quality DAW that's also fun and easy to use! Those aspects are severely underrated in the DAW world, it seems...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”