Kick drum ducking ("Sidechaining") - My ultimate technique using the Envelope Controller and MIDI Out

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
OtsCZE
Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:05 pm

x

Kick drum ducking ("Sidechaining") - My ultimate technique using the Envelope Controller and MIDI Out

Introduction aka the boring part
Through the years of using FL Studio i've gone through tons and tons of ducking techniques. I've used a global peak controller, then multiple peak controllers, then limiters and more and more. None of them I was very happy with. They didn't put me in control and were tedious to use. A few months ago, I've come up with the ultimate way to do it, with infinite control and almost effortless setup and I'd like to share it with the awesome community around FLS ;)

How it works aka the less boring part
This technique utilizes one MIDI Out channel in the Channel rack and as many Patchers in Mixer tracks wrapped around an Envelope Controller controlling a Fruity Balance (so vintage stuff that it's even hidden by default in FL but does its job the best here). I've created a Patcher preset for this so you don't have to, grab it in the attachments. This Patcher preset uses events from the MIDI port 222 to trigger the Envelope Controller which controls the volume parameter of the Fruity Balance. This way you can have as many "duckers" in your project as you wish and they'll be bound to the Mixer track you put them in. You can (and probably should, the default setting is just a garbage placeholder) tweak the envelope in the controller to make the sound more interesting.

Setup aka the fun part
Create a MIDI Out in the Channel rack and set it to port 222 (or something else if you've edited the Patcher preset). I recommend using a Layer for triggering the kick drum and the MIDI Out at once. Now go to the mixer track that you want to have ducked by the ducker (e.g. I personally duck all non-drum tracks; piano, chords, sub-bass, everything...) and put a Patcher into it as the last effect and load the preset from the attachment of this post. Open it, tweak the envelope to your liking and you're done.

A few pics
The Layer triggering the kick and the MIDI Out
The Patcher
The Envelope Controller
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”