Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
SiderealEmbrace
Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:13 pm

x

[Wine/Linux] Modal Dialog about Unlicensed or missing plugin freezes the UI

hi there,

I know that running FL studio on Linux through Wine/Crossover is not officially supported, but i also know that a lot of people do it regardless and i know that Image-Line staff knows that we do it and never said anything to suggest that they object to this. Maybe some other users of FLS on Linux are reading this.

So it would be nice if i can get someone else who does it to reproduce the issue i'm experiencing or find a more beautiful workaround that doesn't involve launching FL Studio in Wine's Virtual Desktop.

I understand that this "problem" is really low priority, as it requires the user to use the software incorrectly in a way that is really rare, but i'd still like to discuss it.

Environment:
Linux 4.11.0-13-generic x86_64
Mint 18.0 XFCE
Crossover 16.0
Windows 7 x64 Bottle/Wineprefix
FL Studio 12.5 [build 58]

Steps to reproduce:

1. use a third party VST plugin that you remove in step 3, or an unlicensed Demo version of an IL plugin
2. Save your project and close FL Studio
3. if you used a third party plugin in step 1, remove it from disk now.
4. reopen your project
5. the Dialog that a Plugin cannot be found or will be removed appears

so far, so correct.

Expected behavior:
i can close the error message, removing the offending plugin from my project and get on with my life.

Actual behavior:
the UI freezes and the [OK] Button of the modal dialog can not be pressed.

Known workarounds:
in wineconfig, enable the "virtual desktop" option, open the offending project. The error message is now clickable. remove the offending plugins, and save and close the project.

EDIT: Better Solution:

turns out i'm an idiot. The trick is to open the Project using the integrated "open file"-Dialog, and not drag the project into fl studio using Linux's file manager.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”