Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
MaximusCub
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:26 pm

x

[n00b question] Detecting Tempo and using vocal sample

Hey There Folks,
I am somewhat new to FL Studio and music production.

I decided a good beginner project for me might be taking some existing song and trying to create a remix. This way I wouldn't be trying to come up with original music at the same time, but could focus more on learning tooling and techniques.

I found a fairly decently isolated a capella vocal sample of Michael Jackson's Man In The Mirror and have been trying to import it into FL Studio such that I can get it to detect the sample's tempo, then speed things up to the desired tempo of my remix.

I'm really struggling with the tempo detection and getting the metronome to just match up with the sample.

I have tried creating a new project, dragging the sample in and using detect tempo. FL Studio tells me the sample doesn't come with any tempo info (expected) and that if I don't think it's estimated tempo is 31.306, 256 beats, then I should select a range.

I have played back the sample through an external program and used the tempo tapper in FL Studio to get a rough idea of what the tempo should be and I'm getting somewhere around 99-100bpm. I've looked up sheet music online for this song just to double check timing and it is definitely in 4/4.

If I select 75-150, it detects the tempo as 132.254, which is most definitely not correct. 50-100 gives me 66.127, also way off.

I have tried manually typing in the bpm of 99 or 100 but when I listen back with the metronome 100 seems too fast and 99 seems close, but drifts out over time.

The sample in question was just lifted from something I found on YouTube. If you want to check it out, you can find it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfbeampt2w3wv ... M.wav?dl=0

Any input is appreciated.

Scott
Site Admin
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:34 am

x

Re: [n00b question] Detecting Tempo and using vocal sample

xbitz wrote:it is a planned feature in the futu...

Scott
Site Admin
Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:12 am

x

Re: [n00b question] Detecting Tempo and using vocal sample

TheDichotomist wrote:Scott wrote:xbitz wrote:it...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”