Latency in ms, soundcard and processor please!

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
SoToS
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:14 pm

x

Latency in ms, soundcard and processor please!

Hi,
I think latency and a statistic like this one, is very important for those who create music and are inspired by playing/improvising live, especially when playing fast/complex parts with both hands (the opposite of composing in the piano roll).

***Note that I'm talking about MIDI live playing, not with a guitar or other analog instrument using FLstudio, but even in that case, feel free to post your stats too.

Both my soundcard and my PC are very old, so a massive upgrade is on the horizon.

What I want to know, is:
1) a statistic about the latency in ms other members are experiencing,
2) the factor of internal vs external soundcards on latency (since the internal ones tend to have less latency),
3) the factor of the CPU on latency.

My current system:
Soundcard: Luna II (PowerSampler) with Sonic 5.1 ASIO drivers/software (INTERNAL card).

Processor: Core 2 Duo E6600 @2.4Ghz (4GB ram on a combo G41 V2 M/B).

Latency: I can set it to 4ms for normal playing most of the time, but for very complex cases and CPU-intensive instruments, it is safer for me to set it at 7ms @44.1Khz to avoid crackling issues. I consider 4ms as the maximum latency I can stand without being destructed when playing fast, my ideal would be 1ms (I consider it night and day between 7ms and 4ms).

I would use 48khz or 96khz, if FLstudio had no issues with the plugins, and my CPU was more powerful, since the latency is falling dramatically with higher sampling rates, which is a pity to lose that advantage. BTW, does anyone use higher sampling rates for midi live playing?

SoToS
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:54 am

x

Re: Latency in ms, soundcard and processor please!

Getbuzzed wrote:SoToS wrote: So, 17-20ms true ...
Last edited by SoToS on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

shroomhead_one
Content Creator
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:53 pm

x

Re: Latency in ms, soundcard and processor please!

SoToS wrote: I would use 48khz or 96khz, if FLs...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”