Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
ZeeFBI
Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:41 pm

x

SpeakerFrequer wrote:Im not much a fan of hip hop so youre debating with the wrong person. I respect it as music but the kind I like might have one or two samples and some orchestra and other synths and samples not loops on top of the loops. I dont like a song riddled with loops and some ametuer rapper saying "geah check dat, deez beatz r phat" "UH" to cover up the crappy production. You can tell the difference, if a song is all loops or not. This is just my opinion btw and my opinion doesnt mean anything to you, already know that. No hard feelings, I never said it doesnt take some skill to use loops properly, I just dont appreciate it as much as music without.
I didn't mean to infer that I didn't respect your opinion.

Mostly what I'm trying to ay is what you said. I think samples are awesome. Making music with loops is fun, it's how I got started learning to use DAWs and mixing, but I do think skillful producer wouldn't need to rely on purchased loop libraries.

I'm not against loops or samples so long as they're used creatively, I do however think there is more skill to making/finding one's own samples and using them in a way that really takes them out of context, in a way that makes something completely different. I think in the realm of DJing it's absolutely fine, however. I love producers that do remixes and love hearing things in different ways. I think it's perfectly fine to take a melody that is well known and use it in a different manner. Roots reggae made all kinds of tracks based on manipulating one track. No new melodies were written, no new music recorded. they'd change the mixing and would have something that people weren't familiar with. this is where my roots lie (not necessarily reggae, although I've been listening to more recently, but remix and DJ culture).

I think a skilled DJ/producer will be able to do things that take it beyond all sense of familiarity, although I think just taking it unfamiliar is not enough, as that could easily be done with adding a few layers of fx. I weigh the ability to use something in a far different context heavily on a dj/producer, although there's nothing wrong with a simple feel good remix.

For a DJ to simply loop a line and maybe add some minor changes, that I think would be falling short, however I don't think it's necessary for DJs to rewrite the book on music just to write something.

Realize, even song writers use chord progressions that are nothing new. Much of music is based on a small area of sounds that are very familiar. The western equal tempered scale itself hasn't changed much for quite a while, and many, many, many songs have been written for the scale.

It's not so much how different something is, it's how musicians make what is familiar something new, be it a chord progression or a sample.

Simply because one plays strings and one plays loops is no matter.

In fact I think technology like samplers, workstations and such leads to more interesting and more involved ways of making music, rather than limiting the skill.

imo it's a new way of making music that is comparable to composers' methods of song writing like Mozart, Bach and Handel.

Large
Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:33 am

x

...Also retarded are the ones saying: "Oh yeah...

GeorgeZ
Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:28 am

x

...man, is this shit still going

Large
Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:19 am

x

... I said to myself when it got bumped two wee...

fabb
Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:33 am

x

GeorgeZ wrote:...man, is this shit still going ...

Matthieu
Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:09 am

x

Like i said earlier here, if the demo files's p...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”