Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
DJ DIG
Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:47 pm

x

NY Compression- Am I Doing This Right?

I used (my understanding of) NY Compression recently to beef up a track, and I think it worked... but now I'm curious as to how close I am to doing this right. I know it's 'right' if it sounds good, and I think it does.

So, first I rendered the .flp file to a .wav file. I already had Maximus applied to the source project in the master insert, so things sounds alright already, but I wanted to see if I could get it fuller.
I opened a new blank project and put a PEQ2 and a limiter on the master insert. Then I found the .wav file of the project in the browser and dragged and dropped it to the playlist. I went to the step sequencer and cloned the clip's channel. I assigned the first clip to mixer insert 1, and the second clip to insert 2.

I left insert 1 at default volume and put insert 2's volume down to about 50%. On insert 2, I placed Maximus and set it to the NY Compression preset. Looks like the mid range compressor is the only one on and doing anything (besides the master compressor which looks like it's just limiting?). And the mid range's pre and post gains are set up way above the 0db mark.

Hitting play I listened to it testing what it sounded like with the Insert 2's volume at different levels, and it seemed to sound fullest and best set at 65%.

Here's some examples... is this the correct procedure?
Untitled (without NY Compression).wav
NY Compression Template.flp
Untitled (with NY Compression).wav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Speaker Frequer (Freq)
Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:08 pm

x

Re: NY Compression- Am I Doing This Right?

Plasuma!!! wrote:What is NY compression? Same ...
Last edited by Speaker Frequer (Freq) on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nucleon
Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:12 pm

x

Indeed, NY compression is parallel compression,...

DJ DIG
Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:24 pm

x

Anybody have a good example of before-and-after...

nucleon
Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:42 pm

x

Here with the NY compression preset ive set the...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Speaker Frequer (Freq)
Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:47 pm

x

Heres my example, I dont usually do this so I d...

Scott
Site Admin
Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:56 pm

x

Maximus manual has a tutorial... http://flstud...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”