Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Andy Lindsay
Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:34 pm

x

Creative Commons question

I have a general question about the pros and cons of using Creative Commons, versus standard "all rights reserved" copyrighting.

It sounds like using CC disallows exclusive-use (by a record label, or other entity) of your work by someone you might enter into an agreement/contract with. Does this mean that if you CC your music, might a record label, for example, not want to use your music, because of the non-exclusivity the CC imparts?

In other words, if someone from a small or big label, liked your music on Soundcloud, might they be less likely to even contact you if they notice you have that track they like licensed with CC, because they couldn't have the exclusivity that they (probably) would want if they released your track?

Also, should a label be interested in a track of yours, what's to stop you from removing the CC license from the song in question, thus allowing you to enter an exclusive contract with the label?

It's not like I think labels are about to start pounding on my door at any moment, but do you think keeping the standard copyright on your music, should the above situation arise?

And what do most of you use on your music (CC or standard "all rights reserved" copyright)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_licenses (the video there is a good primer for the basic CC concept).

Sorry if this topic has been covered here before; I did a forum search and didn't come up with this specific info.

Thanks!

AdventureKid
Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:37 pm

x

Re: Creative Commons question

Depending on what cc license, cc dosnt mean you...

Andy Lindsay
Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:18 pm

x

AdventureKid wrote: Once cc:d, cc forever. (if...

Lachra
Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:26 pm

x

I don't care for the exclusiveness myself, espe...

draeath
Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:32 pm

x

Have you seen this? For example, the Attributi...

Andy Lindsay
Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:30 pm

x

draeath wrote:Have you seen this? For example,...

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”