Live Ambient Music/Soundscape Setup

Exchange FL Studio tips & tricks

Return to “Tips & Tricks”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Composer_Zach_42
Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:17 pm

x

Live Ambient Music/Soundscape Setup

I'm looking to setup a ten-minute set of live ambient music/soundscape noise. Long pads, reverby sound effects etc. At the moment my approach to keep the musical side as free as possible is to use a Patcher and trigger basically all instruments at once, then automate various effects and levels (for example, halfway through I could bring certain instruments down to focus only on one instrument). This way I can improv for ten minutes and the project file will make sure the sound is constantly evolving I was also going to dedicate a few keys of my 88-key keyboard to oneshot effects.
Can anyone suggest more ideas along these lines? Performance mode really doesn't suit my needs at the moment. I plan on doing it all from a keyboard if possible, using patcher and vfx keysplitter to trigger different directwaves, synths and so on into different mixer channels which will be automated up or down in volume. (eg for my pad sounds, I could have that channel routed into three other channels and automate their levels and panning independently).
The limitations of this are that I'm going to end up with pretty homogenous sounds, ie only playing on instrument at a time although it may be changing constantly. I might try splitting into a lead and pad area on the keyboard.
Another idea I had was to have some synths playable which would have long envelopes (like 8 or 16 bars long) so I could hit a chord in one hand and then an arp or a sustained pad sound would play for those bars while I could move back and do melody stuff in another area of the keyboard.

NightWindDance
Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:55 pm

x

Re: Live Ambient Music/Soundscape Setup

I'm currently in the process of preparing a set...

Return to “Tips & Tricks”