Sampling E-MU Proteus VX

Discuss & Share DirectWave content here

Return to “Direct Wave - Presets & Programming”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Ricciardo
Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:29 am

x

Sampling E-MU Proteus VX

Recently i Downloaded Proteus VX a free rompler from E-MU wich have the same presets and soundbank than the epic E-MU 2000 wich made history in the 90´s...

this Rompler absolutly kick ass, in terms of sound... it have a 1000 presets and a stupidly big database of samples wich it makes me think, how the hell i only downloaded 70 mb, and that synth
have so much content? really, its a hell of a format compression for get all that in just barely 70mb download (ridiculous)

but anyway, it sounded good on Proteus, but buggy and with irregular latence, not a big problem on pads, but a pain in drums, completly out of sync.... never played on right time, and not even on rendering... completly unusable...

BUT, i thought that i could use Directwave to try to sample it and maybe use it on my database, and i must say, i am completly AMAZED by how it sounds on Directwave after sampled
i mean... it sound good /above average on Proteus vx Rompler, but after sampled on Direct wave, i really dont know why... it sound even better, i would say... more phat, and with more punch
wich i really cant tell why it happened (for sure it have an explanation)

so i sampled about 100 patches from proteus to direct wave... it was painfull process, because all samples were out of sync, wich means i manualy had to adjust the loops to made them sound right...
believe me when i say, i took more than 20 hours doing allways the same thing to make 100 presets, this can be called really an effort, i would like to sample all the content, but it would take more than a week for sure, and i am still trying to known, if there is anyway... of Direct Wave auto-detect the beggining of the wave form?? that would make the process much faster... because thats my problem
for each patch i have to cut or adjust 10/20 wav. files wich is a pain, and then also i have to make the modulation and fx sound "close" to what they are on the Proteus vx, because i am exporting the sound completly dry to Directwave, no filters, no fx, no processing... completly dry, only some presets i made the export with some filters because they sound unique and there is no way that i can emulate their sound on Direct wave...

but again, if there is anyway of direct wave auto-detect the beggining of the sound it would solve all the latence issues on recording and the need to re-adjust everything

this is also an issue because i tryed to export this patches as instrument, for example to share them with people here, but its impossible, because as FL mobil instrument, they all came out of sync, like they were exported, its like FL mobil instrument format doesnt save the the Directwave configuration on samples and fx and let everything natural as it was encoded from the source (wich is sad)

i would gladly share the work i have been done... and i really think it sound amazing, never thought that this could sound so good on DW.

here is an audio example of what i have been sampling... (Notice all this is only directwave, there is no other FX processing, no limiting or compression, only directwave being played)

for better earing i activated download, please if anyone here experienced the E-mu 2000 sound, please let me know what you think about this as comparisson, if there is a significant downgrade of the quality

genetic_junk
Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:26 am

x

Re: Sampling E-MU Proteus VX

Since I bought Signature bundle is DW one of my...

nucleon
Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:44 am

x

Possible reason for it sounding different after...

PW69
Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:21 pm

x

The best way to use E-mu banks in Direct wave i...

Return to “Direct Wave - Presets & Programming”