EXS Sample locations

Discuss & Share DirectWave content here

Return to “Direct Wave - Presets & Programming”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
AxxeMan23
Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:09 pm

x

EXS Sample locations

I recently bought Direct Wave for use in Samplitude Pro X as Direct Wave is the only VST that I can find that handles GIGA and EXS sampler formats. I have the Vienna Symphonic Opus 1 library and wanted to be able to use it in Samplitude. Believe it or not, the $900 VSL Opus 1 library was sitting on the clearance table at a local Sam Ash for... $10! The 99% off sticker caught my eye. :-) The sales guy said that library had been gathering dust in the store for all the years he had been there. I didn't spend much time deciding to shell out the cost of a sandwich for this amazing (though somewhat old) sample library. Hmmm, 40,000+ top-notch orchestral samples for $10... let me think.

My next problem was figuring out how to access the sample-goodness within. It didn't take too much research to figure out that DW was one of the only current/supported products that worked with these older sampler formats well.

DW loads the GIGA samples no problem though each GIGA is actually a bank of programs and often contains more articulations than one would need. Also, the loading times for GIGA samples are rather long. I am VERY impressed though with how well DW handles these monster multi-samples. I haven't seen it choke once.

The EXS format, on the other hand, keeps the instrument files and the samples separate. This makes for much faster loading into DW once the DW instrument has been created. The problem is that each time I try to load up an EXS instrument DW wants to know where the samples are. If I step through a large number of dialogs showing it where the root sample is for each articulation DW will then take over and finish up the mapping which is impressive. Still, this is a very time consuming process for the entire library. I would rather that DW simply knew where to look but I don't know where to put the EXS samples so that DW will just find them automatically.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

FidelityMusic
Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:35 pm

x

Re: EXS Sample locations

Have you tried saving the EXS instruments as .D...

AxxeMan23
Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:44 am

x

FidelityMusic (IL) wrote:Have you tried saving ...

AxxeMan23
Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:16 pm

x

Any further thoughts on the bug(s) and sample l...

FidelityMusic
Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:02 pm

x

AxxeMan23 wrote:DW did not ask for any sample l...

AxxeMan23
Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:10 am

x

Actually, the samples are all located according...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

reflex
Site Admin
Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:49 pm

x

All the samples in that log file are stored wit...

AxxeMan23
Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:31 am

x

The Process Monitor log shows that DW actually ...

AxxeMan23
Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:57 pm

x

I'm sure the devs would be interested in this i...

FidelityMusic
Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:51 pm

x

Reflex is a dev, there is already an issue crea...

reflex
Site Admin
Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:41 am

x

I can't reproduce the freeze when I cancel the ...

AxxeMan23
Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:21 pm

x

Sorry, just noticed your post. I will try to r...

Return to “Direct Wave - Presets & Programming”