Taking ZGameEditor to its limits

contains the latest version of our visualizer plugin (replacing Chrome)

Return to “ZGameEditor Visualizer forum”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
gremwave
Tue May 30, 2017 1:53 am

x

Taking ZGameEditor to its limits

I just made a lyric video animated completely in FL, and I want to share a look into my project. :mrgreen:

I figured out how to do 2D animation by turning each frame on and off as the next frame turned on (using the Alpha parameter). I drew 8 frames of my gremlin character running, and cycled through 24 frames each measure, at 120 BPM. (12 FPS?) I looped this animation until it changes towards the end of the song.
gremlin run settings.PNG
gremlin run frames.PNG
The clouds and mountains were simple to do; I just automated their X parameter throughout the entire song.
For the layers that looped, I had to find a minimum and maximum X setting that looked identical, so I could loop just that distance.
I originally made each tree a separate instance. This ended up being a nightmare when I got to the further back trees, and had to create images with multiple trees in them.
I looped automation of the trees that started and ended with the tree off screen. I then skewed the automation clip so that they were evenly spread out among the field. This was a lot easier to animate than the grass since the grass was always on screen.
back layer automation.PNG
I NEEDED a typing effect for this video, but I couldn’t find one in ZGameEditor…
SO… I typed up every lyric letter by letter in a progression, and automated between where that line started and ended.
lyric typing.PNG
This ended up taking a lifetime to do, and it was also a nightmare dealing with the automation. A single 1% change would cross through many lines, and it took right click-> type in value… + lots of guess work to find exactly where lines started and ended. I had 764 lines of text.
It was totally worth it; the text looks beautiful with that font and the glitch/separation effects. I also did some fast automation in reverse before impactful moments.
text line automation.PNG
At the end of the video, I pulled in the clover field/sign layer at the same speed as the grass, and a gremlin animation that only happens once. I then dropped in a completely black layer on top of everything but the lyrics and final flower animation.

I’m super proud of this project, and I think it’s hilariously awesome that FL can do this. :mrgreen:
entire project.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VilleK (staff)
Tue May 30, 2017 5:12 pm

x

Re: Taking ZGameEditor to its limits

Cool. This must have taken quite some determina...

gremwave
Tue May 30, 2017 6:55 pm

x

VilleK (staff) wrote: Let us know if you encou...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StevenM
Wed May 31, 2017 9:28 am

x

Excellent - great animation concept, song &...

Scott
Site Admin
Wed May 31, 2017 9:46 am

x

The Gremlin wrote:I just made a lyric video ani...

gremwave
Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:05 am

x

StevenM wrote:Excellent - great animation conce...

gremwave
Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:24 am

x

Scott wrote: Awesome job. Thanks for sharing th...

Xhang
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:21 am

x

Track is just awesome and of course you did a g...

Return to “ZGameEditor Visualizer forum”