Akai MPD226 endless encoders and generic linking

Discuss MIDI Controller support/issues here

Return to “MIDI Controller Support”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Birkdog
Thu May 26, 2016 4:40 am

x

Akai MPD226 endless encoders and generic linking

Hi, I just got an Akai MPD226 and have been trying to integrate it with FL Studio. I have some things working, but there is one big feature that I had in mind when I bought it that I can't get to work. I'm actually not sure it's possible in FL Studio.

The MPD226 has 4 endless encoders on it. I specifically got a controller with endless encoders because I didn't want them to be as useless* as the faders for controlling window-specific parameters. I figured that they would adjust the virtual knobs a relative amount and be great to use all over the place. However, I found this in the documentation: "Generic linking does not support mapping formulas & smoothing." And from what I understand, the relative mapping is one of these mapping formulas. So is it correct that I can't use the endless encoders to make relative adjustments per-window? If it is possible, how do I do it?

If it's not possible, is there any workaround at all? (Like maybe pre-processing the midi output from the endless encoders on the MPD226 before it even reaches FL Studio? I'm not sure how I would do that exactly but it seems like it should be possible.) Or is there any future implementation coming?

Thanks!

Cristina

* I say useless because if the on-screen fader position doesn't match the physical fader position, (which will happen all the time,) I can't use the physical fader to make small adjustments. So I don't see this as a useful mapping. Any update on whether soft takeover is possible is appreciated as well, because I can imaging that making it useful.

Return to “MIDI Controller Support”