Discuss MIDI Controller support/issues here

Return to “MIDI Controller Support”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
BammTronics
Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:30 pm

x

Problem / Issue with FL Studio 9, MIDI out, and MPC2000

Hello,

I'm having a somewhat minor issue with MIDI Out that I'm not sure what the cause is. Could be human error, lack of compatibility, or even possibly a glitch. I've done numerous searches on this site, on Google, and dug through every page in this forum section but haven't found anything to remedy it. My gear is:

FL Studio 9 Fruity Edition on a Vista machine
M Audio Fast Track Pro
MPC 2000 (classic, NOT XL)
Casio PX-120 digital piano

I'm not new to production or using MIDI, but I am somewhat new to FL Studio (last time I used FL Studio was over 10 years ago, before it became "Studio" lol). So forgive me if I'm not to clear on my FL terminology. I'm attaching images to hopefully clarify.

With the exception of the problem I'm having, I've successfully hooked up and tested everything. The path is FL Studio -> Fast Track -> MPC -> Casio. So I am able to control plug ins like FPC, FL Keys & MIDI Out with either the MPC or the Casio (which is chained thru the MPC) properly.

The problem occurs when I attempt to use MIDI Out to record MIDI notes that are to be played by the MPC. What happens is: when I open up MIDI Out, set the port in MIDI Out to match the port number set in Options > MIDI settings, and then I hit a pad on the MPC, the sound starts triggering in an infinite loop! Which you can imagine makes a terrible noise. The only way for me to stop it is to either a) change the port number in MIDI Out b) right click the "green light" in the step sequencer between the channel name and the steps (see image) or c) somehow interrupt the MIDI signal at the MPC. Similar symptoms happen if I am recording or playing back, but they are always if the channel is armed for MIDI ("green light"on) and the ports are matched up.

My workaround for this has been to change the port number in MIDI Out while I'm recording. Then the infinite loop will not happen while I'm recording, playing back, or just hitting a pad. But that way, I cannot immediately listen to what I've done when the step sequencer loops back to step one. I have to stop the sequence, match the port number back, turn off the "green light", and then play back to hear how it sounds. It works, but it's not very productive.

Some other notes that may help:
- FL studio 9 was boxed but I upgraded to the latest version
- Fast Track drivers were updated to the latest version
- Fast Track has indicator lights for when a MIDI signal goes in/out. When the infinite loop occurs the lights go crazy
- If I set the "green light" to a regular channel (like a kick drum) in the step sequencer while the infinite loop is occurring it will start firing off that sound in the infinite loop
- If I right click the "green light" during the infinite loop and then left click it again it does not start back up again
- If I hit the a key on the Casio, I can see the FL is doing the infinite loop and the Fast Track lights going crazy but the piano does not receive the signal back and doesnt get caught in the infinite loop

From what I can figure out from my hours of trying to solve this problem, it's clear that there somewhere the FL is triggering the note and then somehow the MPC is telling FL to trigger the note again, which starts the infinite loop. But ONLY when the "green light" is on.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to accomplish here is to use the MPC as a MIDI instrument with FL, not just a controller. Works great as a controller and I'm glad for that. But to use it as an instrument, I'd need to be able to play it while the channel is armed for MIDI.

This could all be because I have something set up wrong on my end, and if so hopefully someone here could help me to locate the error. I do understand it could also be that the MPC 2000 classic is too old and/or not supported. But I feel like it's "so close and yet so far" so I'm hoping that's not the case lol. Regardless of the true cause, any help will be greatly appreciated.

And please forgive me for such a loooong post :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Labelwhore
Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:44 pm

x

Disable midi through on the MPC so that the mid...

BammTronics
Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:30 am

x

Thanks for the help! Making some progress... ...

BammTronics
Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:21 am

x

I think I got it figured out. Here's what I di...

Return to “MIDI Controller Support”