Midi Controller Key Assignment

Discuss MIDI Controller support/issues here

Return to “MIDI Controller Support”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
go2ldook
Sun May 16, 2010 6:05 pm

x

Midi Controller Key Assignment

I am a newbie to midi. I am using FLStudio live to run soft synths which I operate using Roland Pk-5 Bass Pedals via midi.
In the middle of some songs I need to select the next channel. With the computer keyboard, I can do this by using the
up/down arrows. Problem is, I am playing guitar, so I need to make this selection with my feet. The Roland will let me do this
by clicking "Midi Channel", then using the key of the pedal board to click which channel I want. This is bulky playing live,
and does not allow for rapid selection. I need it to just scroll to the next channel with one click like I can do with the
up down arrows on the keyboard.

My initial solution: I hacked an old PS2 keyboard so 2 momentary switches could be hit with my foot to toggle up or down.
Works WONDERFUL, but I want to use my laptop, which is not PS2 capable. And the PS2 to USB adapter I bought does not
work, and I have found from reviews that this is often the case. Don't want to keep buying these things if they are just worthless!

I suppose I could buy a USB keyboard and hack it, but it seems like I should be able to assign the existing buttons on my Roland
PK-5 to perform this simple up/down arrow task. There is a "Sound Effects" and "Drum" selector button in the middle of the
footpedal board which would be perfect for this function.

How can I assign a keyboard stroke like up and down arrows to these midi pedal buttons?

Thanks

Return to “MIDI Controller Support”