Discuss MIDI Controller support/issues here

Return to “MIDI Controller Support”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Oxide
Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:10 pm

x

Yamaha DTXPRESS 4

G'day FL'ers,

up until now I've had an M-Audio Axiom 25 working perfectly fine with FL-Studio. I've had the opportunity to use a Yamaha DTXPRESS 4 e-drumset lately, and the response from the device is very fast and perfect for my needs. Since it has a MIDI Out feature... why not give it a go with FL Studio!?

I've used a basic USB-MIDI conversion cable worth AUD$60. It seems you can spend whatever quantity of money you want on those and it all likely produces the same MIDI output anyway. Is this assumption correct or do more expensive solutions give you 'better MIDI' ? The salesman claimed he has no issues with this cable in his use, but it could likely just be typical salesman talk.

Past the typical installation of the cable and connection to the DTXPRESS, the whole system seems really strange. I was expecting just a pad setup but in reality it's quite different. The overall response in FL Studio is strange, like the device outputs a single snare hit in one of four different notes, such as C#2, D3, E0 and F0. Occasionally these notes change to a sharp or a different number (octave). I can't try this cable on my keyboard since it only came with USB, and I would need to purchase a power supply to use it's MIDI function. The MIDI also don't seem to register as many hits as the module can by itself, so trying a snare roll is not possible.

Are e-drums supposed to behave like this, and if so, who the hell thought this was a good idea? Like I said previously, I was expecting just basic pads and velocities, and this is quite an abnormal system.

Thanks for any advice

e.g.:
Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:29 pm

x

What generator are you trying to control with t...

Oxide
Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:20 am

x

The issue seems to be independent of which gene...

e.g.:
Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:47 am

x

Edrum pads send sharp on/off messages with no s...

Oxide
Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:15 am

x

Looks like it's the drum module after all. Tryi...

Benry Henson
Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:51 pm

x

Re: Yamaha DTXPRESS 4

The variable responses on the pads is because t...

Return to “MIDI Controller Support”