ISO Vintage Keyboard Emulation Tutorials

Discuss & exchange FL SynthMaker presets here.

Return to “FL SynthMaker / FlowStone - Presets & Programming”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
MCMorrise
Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:36 am

x

ISO Vintage Keyboard Emulation Tutorials

Hey all. I've been inspired by the fantastic work of Aly James, and now I'm looking to make a foray into Synthmaker to try and create some emulations. I want to try to do something analog like an Oberheim clone, or maybe a retro sampler (Emulator, Mirage) ... but my big concern is setting up the voices.

On older synths - instead of pristine digital 256-voice polyphony (haha) - there were like 4 voice cards, each voice had its oscillator(s) and a filter chip and blah blah blah. Technicalities. What I'm looking for is a tutorial to do a proper emulation of the voice setup for an older keyboard. I'd like individual control for tuning and pan of each voice. Ideally, as we're going for vintage, the oscillators and filters would be able to be "set free" from digital perfection and drift a little, but I'm not particular about that.

So, where can I find tutorials for doing voice allocation in SynthMaker? If I wanted to code the filters myself, emulating an SSM chip or some other filter, what program(s) would I use and where can I get tutorial materials? Also, on a retro sampler, I'd want to emulate the lo-fi grit of the original, so that would mean things like being able to load 8-bit samples, utilizing nearest-neighbor interpolation and variable sampling rate, none of which I know anything about. Somewhere I could read up on how to program that?

Dozius
Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:52 pm

x

Re: ISO Vintage Keyboard Emulation Tutorials

DSP http://www.dspguide.com/ https://ccrma.st...

MCMorrise
Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:21 pm

x

Re: ISO Vintage Keyboard Emulation Tutorials

Awesome! I'll start looking over these and see ...

Return to “FL SynthMaker / FlowStone - Presets & Programming”