Insane volume swings in plugin presets

Technical support has moved to Ticketing - https://support.image-line.com/redirect ... calSupport

Return to “Technical Support (Windows)”

Forum rules
TECHNICAL SUPPORT HAS MOVED!

Technical support has moved to ticketing - START HERE

Some self-help links ...

NOTE: Technical Support is ONLY available Monday - Friday (9 am to 5 pm), it can take a few days to get a response depending on the level of demand. Thank you for your patience.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Martin_Britz
Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:48 am

x

Insane volume swings in plugin presets

Hi guys. First off, I'm having a blast but sometimes I get my mind blown in more ways than one.
Its not an FLStudio bug per se, but some of the presets in Toxic Biohazard and other plugins are just crazy loud.
I find it kind of ironic that some of these are listed under 'best'

I like to cycle through presets looking for something close to what I want and then just make adjustments.
Reducing the volume before changing presets doesn't help.
Some of these are still earth shatteringly loud even at 3% volume like "Space Helmet ToTc" and a few others.

I'm not going to list them, I'll have to go through it and might risk sustaining further hearing damage, and I believe I did sustain some permanent hearing loss because of this.

I'll use an external mixer and keep my hand on the master volume knob, turning it down to 0 before changing presets, but my ears are still ringing so the damage may already have been done. I'm sure countless others must have had the same experience at some point. There must be some way you can limit the output to within reason, maybe get someone to review the presets and do some quality control, or just somehow indicate which presets will destroy your hearing, maybe in red. I'm sure all musicians value their hearing.

Even if its third party plugins or presets there are things you can do to prevent this from happening, like taking an average of a small sample after a preset change and comparing the volume level to the previous level of that channel, and if it exceeds a given threshold to just turn down the channel volume to 0. Adding a channel volume control knob to the frame of the plugin window is maybe another option, the plugin window often occludes the step sequencer or channel settings windows so it would be nice to have it on a place where its easily accessible, maybe next to the next/prev preset buttons. In that case you might want to include a menu option to turn the volume down to 0 any time the user cycles through presets, just as an added precaution. These are just a few suggestions, there might be other better ideas but I'm sure there is something you can do.

An idea for you:
If you hover the mouse over a knob and use the mouse scroll wheel to control it in very fine increments.

HSJIII
Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:18 pm

x

Re: Insane volume swings in plugin presets

Martin_Britz wrote:Hi guys. First off, I'm havi...

Return to “Technical Support (Windows)”