CPU bloat when rolling over a clip in Playlist Window

Technical support has moved to Ticketing - https://support.image-line.com/redirect ... calSupport

Return to “Technical Support (Windows)”

Forum rules
TECHNICAL SUPPORT HAS MOVED!

Technical support has moved to ticketing - START HERE

Some self-help links ...

NOTE: Technical Support is ONLY available Monday - Friday (9 am to 5 pm), it can take a few days to get a response depending on the level of demand. Thank you for your patience.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Balage
Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:41 pm

x

CPU bloat when rolling over a clip in Playlist Window

I have noticed that in the latest release of FL Studio 11 (11.1.1 x86) CPU usage goes unnecessarily high when you simply roll the mouse cursor over a clip in Playlist Window. It is also noticeable on the Output Monitor Panel. It becomes slow, loses its smooth motion, even jams for a second. In Task Manager I can see that when this happens, one core is entirely used at 100%. Since it completely eats up one core, it can significantly decrease overall performance and the amount of CPU resources available for meaningful tasks, for instance running VST plugins.

Tip: To me this seems to be an improperly written or unoptimized event handler of the widget of an audio clip that is triggered on every mouse move.

Additional facts
  • This is not present in the latest release of FL 10 (10.0.9c) that provides the same functionality in Playlist Window in the feature scope the bloat is present.
  • The CPU usage is normal when not rolling over a clip but just moving the mouse inside the Playlist Window.
  • The bigger area the visual representation of the audio clip covers, the higher the CPU usage goes when moving the mouse over it.
  • The CPU usage when rolling over with the mouse is much higher than horizontally scrolling / moving the whole canvas with the middle button.
Reproduction
  • Open FL Studio or start a new project.
  • Drag & Drop an at least 2-minute-long audio clip into the Playlist Window.
  • Zoom in both horizontally and vertically to have the biggest area covered by the clip.
  • Start moving your mouse cursor within the area of the audio clip.
  • You will notice the high CPU usage.
  • You can also start playing in SONG mode and see how the high CPU usage affects the smoothness of other visual elements.
Environment

I tested latest versions of FL 10 and FL 11 on OS Windows XP SP3 32-bit and the following hardware.
Processor: Intel Pentium T4500
Memory: 3 GB
Display card: Intel GMA 4500 (integrated)
Display resolution: 1366x768
Laptop model: Lenovo IdeaPad G550L

Return to “Technical Support (Windows)”