HTML5/CSS3 Implementation within EZG and other ramblings ...

EzGenerator V4 forum

Return to “Ezgenerator v4 Customer Forum”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Dhahii
Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:49 am

x

HTML5/CSS3 Implementation within EZG and other ramblings ...

Hi there,

I was wondering what kind of schedule was in place for integration of HTML5 and CSS3 features (beyond those already implemented - that is, those compatible with IE) - particularly in relation to Mobile Pages, and more specifically iPhone/iPod ...

I don't have any specific elements in mind, but I was wondering what might be on the way in the near future ... and would it be possible to create pages that are not IE-compatible Intentionally? I realize that a large part of the purpose of EZG is to make websites that are compatible with the majority of browsers ... but if using detection scripts, is it not possible to make targeted content?

For example, when making mobile pages specifically aimed at Apple hardware (e.g. iPad), the choice of widgets available should be those which are compatible (e.g. NO Flash embedding, or other Flash-based widgets).

Or ...

Since we can replicate an entire site for a language, would it not be possible to do something similar according to technologies, with the data that is updated from the admin feeding the two different versions of the site (e.g. Standard HTML site, including Flash widgets coupled with an HTML5 site using native widgets, and both using the same data source?

Probably too far away from the simple paradigm that EZG uses ...

But I would love to have that kind of modular approach: build "containers" for data, and then attach the appropriate widgets to them in the correct pages.

EG: build slideshow

Make a selection of images, which can then be edited according to having captions and links. This would be named "Slideshow 1" and would be the raw slideshow data. Literally raw data - image sizing is handled elsewhere.

Then, in my cross-browser site, I utilize a Slideshow display method (we'll call this XBrowseSS1) on a page. Image sizes/thumbnailing dictated here.

For the equivalent page for say, a touchscreen-based site, I utilize a different Slideshow display method (TSBrowseSS1). Image sizes/thumbnailing dictated here.

Both XbrowseSS1 and TSBrowseSS1 tap into the data of Slideshow 1 - meaning that updating the slideshows is entirely separate from updating the pages.

Same applies for text data used in other ways - e.g. rather than a blog page, there is a blog widget (or rather, a set of blog widgets (or macros)) that can be built into a page design.

And so on ...

At the admin level, it is possible to update data for all display methods, and then at the individual page level, it is possible to turn widgets/page elements on and off ... or maybe even tweak built-in filters in them (e.g. dates for end of display, dates for beginning display, etc)

Equally, the online editable feature would be attached to a data source that could be edited from any version of the site ...

Maybe it's just me, but I think the data and design need to be separated in order to make the browser compatibility issues irrelevant - and it would allow users to make deliberate choices about inclusion and exclusion of browsers.

Of course, all the while, it would mean that if IE has a set of features that Safari doesn't use, those features could be included, while features particular to Apple products could also be included and updated. And so on ...

From what I've seen of HTML5/CSS3 so far, it strikes me that all-in-one web design tools will have to become more sophisticated than they have been, and will have to incorporate many more features and tools in order to create an integrated site-building workflow - specifically, for example, when dealing with something like canvas. The lines between templates and content will become blurred much more quickly than Flash made them ...

Or am I talking out of my ... hat???

Cheers!

Return to “Ezgenerator v4 Customer Forum”