On Ogun's Randomizer: My guess of implementation

Share your presets and programming tips here.

Return to “Ogun & Autogun - Presets & Programming”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
smilekzs
Wed May 05, 2010 4:47 pm

x

On Ogun's Randomizer: My guess of implementation

I was surprised when I first see the ogun's 2^32 preset count. From a programmer's(I'm C++) point of view, the patch-generating algorithm, which takes an unsigned int and returns a whole patch, is certainly intriguing.

So I RTFM and found out that the major deciding factor of the sound consists of several Sytrus-ish envelopes. (I've been only using randomized patches 'till now--additive's not my cup of tea.) Also, the press-release claims that the algo involves some AI.

So how do it work? I'm just taking a guess here: Seed with input, and random until we have a char[] full of random garbage associated to that seed. This will decide the patch as follows:

From my observation, the preset name is generated first(likely, as I tried some bit hacking), by combining random words from a dictionary. Then randomly place articulation points on envelopes. Noticing that 32767 is the max of (signed) short, each point would therefore take 3 bytes, and the wasted bit can go to tension direction or something. (actual tension? another byte?) Other linear parameters such as filter cut/res, seed, etc. would each take a byte.

Now that the patch's sound is determined, there are two choices. The easier way is to take a 'description template' randomally, then fill descriptive words again from dicts. (sounds like FM8, not far from Jarre, blah, blah, blah... man, that's [citation needed], so it would't hurt to just randomize it as well I guess.) However, if the AI rumors are true, it'd take more work by weighting the words by Z-transforming a short sample of the patch and getting creative on the result. Here I've totally no idea. It could be some real AI, however unlikely it seems for a trivial feature of commenting on patches. But as I've only programmed AI for chess games, not text generators, I could not tell.
So, gol, would you please kindly tell me how much of above is close to the truth? Or is it a business secret not to be disclosed?
Just my guesses outta curousity.

BNJ

tomaschavez00
Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:24 am

x

please answer this!!!!!!!!!!!!! i've been wonde...

gol
Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:34 am

x

Seed with input, and random yes, it's controll...

Return to “Ogun & Autogun - Presets & Programming”