Recreations of epic sounds using our products

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
noelleis
Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:16 am

x

Help with a BUNCH of sounds/general sound design questions

Hey, guys.

In case you read this post before, I'm editing it pretty heavily to make better use of everyone's time.
I'd like help making hands up, and I need a little advice on a few things. Audio clips will be included in the post below.
1. How can I make my leads better?
The lead is one of the most important sounds in hands up, and while it's easy to say moar sawz moar detune, it never seems to work for me. I can make really nice leads, but they lack the kind of grit and distortion that I've heard in other hands up tracks. See the first audio clip for an example - the main lead sound has some of that distortion going on (while, yes, containing lots and lots of detuned saws), but the secondary lead that harmonizes with it half the time has way more. I've heard that this is created by using a very fast pitch LFO or FM in a low ratio, but whenever I attempt it, my sounds are always muddy, noisy, or just plain bad. Some of the time, it's an inaudible change, but most of the time the waveform changes to be more of a supersquare than a supersaw. Just about 100% of the time, I wind up getting lots of white noise mixed in with the signal. I found one example that sounds almost exactly how I like it in my massive Sytrus preset library, and it's attached below the first audio file.

While I have Nexus, I only keep it around as a reference. I try to make all of my sounds from scratch, unless I'm sampling vocals, making a remix, etc. which I'm currently not.

2. How can I make my kicks better?
The kick is possibly the second most important sound in hands up, and I don't like using samples, as I mentioned before. I'm only having moderate success with a synthesized drum (while I can get really nice kicks out of 3x0sc and Sytrus, they lack the same impact that hands up kicks have. Some of my kicks would be great for techno, hardcore, trance, and other genres, but none of them have been suitable for hands up), and resynthesizing doesn't seem to work. I can generally EQ and distort a kick to my needs, but these kicks remain stubbornly out of reach. Plain clipping doesn't work (I've tried Ohmicide, Camelphat, Fruity Blood Overdrive, Fruity Fast Dist, Hardcore), and even long, complex FX chains (using Sausage Fattener, Fruity Compressor, Fruity Multiband Compressor, Maximus, Soundgoodizer, and lots of other effects) fail to achieve the right sound. How should I go about this?
I'm attaching my best kick thus far, which isn't that great.

3. How should I make my hats better?
Hi hats aren't necessarily hard to synthesize - a fast cutoff envelope on a high pass filter makes open and closed high hats easily. However, good hats always have a metallic tinge to them, and I have NO idea of how to start making that kind of sound. Ogun seems like it would be the best option for this task, but I've never seen a good Ogun tutorial. An audio example is included.
Last edited by noelleis on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noelleis
Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:16 am

x

Re: Help with a BUNCH of sounds/general sound design questio

Here are the audio clips. The first one is Rob...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by noelleis on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”