Skrillex Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites Main FM Bass

Recreations of epic sounds using our products

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Seamless
Tue May 13, 2014 1:27 am

x

Skrillex Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites Main FM Bass

So, much ado has been made about Skrillex's various vocoder bassed sounds like the ones present in Scary Monsters and First of The Year. But I recently listened to Scary Monsters again and figured I'd take a crack at the main FM bass using Sytrus.

This one's still pretty formanty, but it's accomplished through filtering instead of vocoding. As such, I didn't exactly do it perfectly, or with any real elegance ;p But I think I did a pretty good job approximating what I believe to be the base sound in the stack. The vague squelchiness is a dead give away but what really helped me in building the sound was looking at the original song in spectral view (in Edison) and noticing a haromonic oscillating up and down in pitch. It was pretty high up, so I started there.

I might do a for real tutorial on this soon, but I figure this would be neat for you guys :)

It's not perfect, and if you feel you can improve upon it by all means go for it :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”