Filter Idea for neuro heads.

Recreations of epic sounds using our products

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Zyglor
Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:46 pm

x

Filter Idea for neuro heads.

Hi there, I just come back from a little experimenting session, and think I've got something that might interest you.

Here is a preview just to keep you interested : http://clyp.it/02h0b2vy
And here is the flp : https://mega.co.nz/#!H9VS0BZJ!3CuCzvekh ... II1cvP5t6s

Now, this sound is by no means good or interesting, but the idea behind it is (or at least I hope so..)

The concept is inspired by Massive's BP filter (I don't use Massive at all btw), which is not an actual bandpass, but the combination of a HP and a LP. The main practical difference, if you don't do maths, is the behavior of the Q factor. Play with it, you'll get it..

SO. Automating a HP and a LP together is great, but it often sounds bad, or takes a whole lot of time to tweak in order for it to sound good, and here is the trick : limiting each filter by the other one.

How you do this in FL is you go in the Low Pass automation clip's settings, link the max value to the High Pass' automation clip, and link the High Pass automation clip's max to the Low Pass' automation clip.
This way, they do not ever totally cancel out the sound.

You can tweak this further, and use the HP min , in the automation clips settings, as a threshold so that when the LP is all the way down, you can still keep your sub. It might seam useless if you do your sub separately, but it's actually interesting if you feed your sound into a distortion, as it adds a lot of body to it when the HP reaches the fondamental, especially with high Q values.

In this particular example, the sound is originally a Sytrus FM/RM reese, with a little bit of unison for stereo purposes. It also outputs a sine to give more body to the reese. It's then distorted, because it's tasty. Then, the actual filter, made with PEQ2. Then another EQ, to cut the lows out, as I've got another sine for my actual sub.
Both go into a multiband compressor to even out everything (no master compression), and then distortion for more tastiness and loudness.

I hope that this all made sense, and that you could learn something from it.

Or maybe everyone does this already ^^"

Anyways, cheers from France,

Osanno

Return to “Epic Sound Design & Recreation Forum”