(BETA 1.42)(0.9w)(0.9z) Many soundcard clicks when recording

Technical support has moved to Ticketing - https://support.image-line.com/redirect ... port_macOS

Return to “Technical Support (macOS)”

Forum rules
TECHNICAL SUPPORT HAS MOVED!

Technical support has moved to ticketing - START HERE

Some self-help links ...

NOTE: Technical Support is ONLY available Monday - Friday (9 am to 5 pm), it can take a few days to get a response depending on the level of demand. Thank you for your patience.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
ArTiSTiX
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:27 pm

x

(BETA 1.42)(0.9w)(0.9z) Many soundcard clicks when recording

First, thank you very much for this awesome port on OSX, previous beta version where a bit unstable for recording, and i noticed you fixed a memory issue i had when recording (memory was peaking then fl studio crashed after 8 minutes of recordings).

Since 0.9w is out, i switched to OSX definitely, but it's still very hard to record 2 mics with a minimum latency.
When i don't record and only use playback preview, there is absolutely no problem with the sound, no crash, no cracks, and a latency ~7ms (about 300smp at 48khz). I usually use a Fruity Limiter for boosting vocals when recording, but i also tried to disable all plugins to reduce clicks.
But as soon as i arm my 2 vocals channels, and start recording, clicks come to play and trash all our work.
The more the song progress the more clicks happen, and the audio engine never recover from those clicks, there are always more and more (i can't record more than 5 minutes with correct amount of clicks, after 12minutes it's too dirty).
The saddest is that the clicks are present on the raw recorded WAV file (Input channels are armed with no effects), and i think is really annoying that input recordings can't be took apart of output, and has defects because of output latency... i thought IO would be in a separated thread.

I don't remember suffering this much of clicks on WIN version, i used to record jam session (~3hours straight) @8channels,48khz with the same soundcard (Zoom R16), and plenty of effects (limiters, reverbs and once... IK Multimedias' Amplitube 2 for a plugged guitar) with FL Studio 10 on Windows.

Is there any solution or explanation ?
Why are there clicks when recording, not when on playback / preview ?

My setup:
FL Version: alpha 0.9w, sorry for not updating yet (i feared that latest might be less stable).
Soundcard: Zoom R16 8 inputs - also tested on a Steinberg UR22 - 2 channels @48Khz, and it's barely worst - now she dead :'(
Soundcard driver: up to date
Sample Rate: 48 khz
Buffer length: 256 - 360smp (~5-7ms)
Computer: Macbook Pro 2015 13"
Ram: 16GB
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.6

ISSUE #2: Some WAV (~3/20) are saved with a corrupted header, still readable when imported to Audacity as RAW. This is a bit annoying to resave 'em all. Maybe latest alpha might fix it.
Last edited by ArTiSTiX on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ZXDunny
Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:18 pm

x

Re: (0.9w) Many soundcard clicks when recording

Thanks for the report - we'll investigate it. I...

Return to “Technical Support (macOS)”