Crash when channel names contain special characters

Get support here - http://support.image-line.com/redirect/ ... Deckadance

Return to “DeckaTalk”

Forum rules
Deckadance is no longer an Image-Line product. For support please go here - http://support.image-line.com/redirect/ ... Deckadance
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
kangoo2097
Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:45 pm

x

Crash when channel names contain special characters

Hello,

Deckadence crashes on my machine, if the channel names in audio device setup dialog contain special characters, e. g. umlauts such as ä, ö, ü. These characters appear for my Numark Mixtrack Pro which is registered as "USB-Audiogerät" (in English "USB audio device") in Windows. In Deckadence I use the ASIO4ALL driver for this device.

Steps to reproduce under the assumption that the problematic sound card has already been set up:
  • Start Deckadence
  • If not crashed yet, open settings tab (gear symbol). Usually the name is only shown correctly until the first problematic character which is "ä" in my case.
  • If not crashed yet, try to select different device channels for the monitor or output
  • If still not crashed... Well, maybe it's your lucky day. Deckadence then often crashes when it is closed. But in some cases it may run quite well for some time.
Sometimes the channel names also start to change their appearance, while I watch the settings dialog. This can result in a corrupted display as shown in the attached image. Note the colored pixels on the drop down menus.
ChannelSelection Bug.jpg
I was able to change the channel names which is delivered by hacking through the registry. Under Windows XP, they seem to be buried in the folder:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\DeviceClasses\{6994AD04-93EF-11D0-A3CC-00A0C9223196}\<devicespecificfolder>\#GLOBAL\Device Parameters
In this folder exists a key called "FriendlyName" from which the channel names are derived. I'm not sure if the part in curly brackets is the same for all audio devices. <devicespecificfolder> is in my case:

##?#USB#VID_15E4&PID_0077&MI_00#6&33D9C533&0&0000#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}
The first parameters (like "VID_15E4", "PID_0077", "MI_00", "6&33D9C533") can be retrieved using the device manager. For this, you need to display the properties of the device. Then select the details tab and from the drop down menu "device instance identification" (I hope that's the correct English translation). The text field below reads in my case:

USB\VID_15E4&PID_0077&MI_00\6&33D9C533&0&0000
After changing the channel name, I removed the "ä", the crashes are gone and also the channel names are shown correctly in the settings dialog. However, there may be multiple appearances of this key in the folder given above and I didn't find a good way to identify the correct one.
Soundcard: Numark Mixtrack Pro 1
Controller: Numark Mixtrack Pro 1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “DeckaTalk”