Platter Envelopes

Get support here - http://support.image-line.com/redirect/ ... Deckadance

Return to “DeckaTalk”

Forum rules
Deckadance is no longer an Image-Line product. For support please go here - http://support.image-line.com/redirect/ ... Deckadance
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Cue8Chalk
Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:39 pm

x

Platter Envelopes

These are some feature requests that would effectively make Deckadance the best when it comes to simulating the feel and response of true vinyl turntable decks while using MIDI decks without platters that spin automatically. Note, I've tested out these techniques with VCI 300's.

1. Introduce RPM settings 33/45/Custom?
Rationale: Deckadance currently doesn't mimic the way traditional turntables work. This would be the starting point. For example, if you are playing a track then touch a platter and spin it backwards quickly, one would expect to hear it spin back at a high pitch and slowly return to normal pitch (due to the platters being on and spinning to counteract the DJ input), but in Deckadance, all you get is an extremely disappointing blip as the platters spin back almost instantly.

As a side note, it looks like this *may* be supported somewhat, because I was able to open up the vinyl/external control panel and get the desired effect by spinning back the virtual deck with my mouse, but that defeats the purpose of having a controller to do that. It may just be a matter of making the jog wheels <-> vinyl allow usage of an envelope mapping, so that it can work based on the acceleration/velocity of the jog wheels (platters) instead of doing this somewhat linearly.

The way Deckadance handles the platters/jog wheels also keeps me from being able to scratch effectively. Maybe Deckandance needs a midi sensitivity setting or something but it just seems like no matter what I do to the platters, the music moves at the same speed forward and backward.

2. Introduce the concept of turntable platters on/off, with speed envelopes (and/or make those envelopes hard-coded but based on platter RPM). This concept could also be applied to the play/pause buttons too, but is slightly different. Consider traditional turntables, like SL1200's. I used to do a trick where I would transition from one record to the next by turning off one of the turntables - this would allow the record to continue spinning, but obviously it would slow down, and the audio would keep playing. I'd normally catch the record and pull it back twice for a really cool slow-down effect (wish I still had some SL1200's so I could youtube it to demonstrate). The point being that it's impossible to do that with the midi controllers/software I've seen so far (Torq, Deckadance, Itch, Virtual DJ).

L.S.D
Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:36 am

x

...well noted (basically all the above things a...

Return to “DeckaTalk”