FL Studio UI extremely slow/laggy, slowing down the rest of the computer

Technical support has moved to Ticketing - https://support.image-line.com/redirect ... calSupport

Return to “Technical Support (Windows)”

Forum rules
TECHNICAL SUPPORT HAS MOVED!

Technical support has moved to ticketing - START HERE

Some self-help links ...

NOTE: Technical Support is ONLY available Monday - Friday (9 am to 5 pm), it can take a few days to get a response depending on the level of demand. Thank you for your patience.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
laljondi
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:45 am

x

FL Studio UI extremely slow/laggy, slowing down the rest of the computer

Hey,

I've been using FL Studio for about 5 years now with little to no problem on any number of laptops that I've had (all Dell, usually older).

Finally my personal laptop gave out, so I got a new one about 2 weeks ago: the Dell Inspiron 7559 laptop. The specs are as follows:

1TB hard drive, 128Gb SSD
Graphics card: NVidia GeForce 5 GTX 960m
Processor: Intel i7
Ram: 16Gb

May be worth noting it has a 4k screen (thats given me a ton of problems on the side but I've fixed them for now).
My current OS is the most up to date version of Windows 10 with the Creators Update applied to it (that update was to fix 4k problems). As soon as I got the laptop I did a fresh reinstall of windows to get rid of all the extra stuff Dell shipped with it.

I've used two other laptops recently with Windows 10 (both older machines), and FL Studio has worked totally fine on it.

Now for the actual problem!:

The attached video will show you what I mean, but the UI for FL is being extremely slow. The main example is what happens when I try to drag windows around or navigate around the playlist. I never expect 100% co-operation with the more complex projects I have, but this even happens with a completely brand-new blank project. It gets to the point where I can't really sit down and work on something for more than 10 minutes without getting frustrated by how slowly things are going. I also notice that everything else (besides FL) runs a lot slower when I have FL Studio running (again, happens with blank projects as well as complex projects).

I thought this would be a memory or CPU issue, but most of the time FL only takes about 15% of CPU and about 234Mb of memory (which means about 37% total of memory is being used). All these issues are being experienced when I'm not pressing play on the files either, I can imagine that they just get worse when I press play.

Other things I've tried:
Turning off all other programs
Running in 32 bit
Upgrading to the most recent version of FL Studio (12.5, I believe)
Assigning higher priority to FL Studio from task manager
Updating display drivers
Reinstalling (about 4 times now)
Running from the SSD (which is where the OS lives as well)

I have noticed that FL Studio 11 works rather smoothly, however it isnt scaled up for the 4K resolution and I'd really rather just get version 12 to work.
Should be worth noting that mostly everything else (video games included) work rather well on this. FL Studio is the only problem child, however it is also the most important to me.
Thank you in advance for reading, and let me know if you want any other files/info from me :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Technical Support (Windows)”