[FIXED] UI missing clicks/hotkeys, menus sticking to the cursor under high CPU load

Technical support has moved to Ticketing - https://support.image-line.com/redirect ... calSupport

Return to “Technical Support (Windows)”

Forum rules
TECHNICAL SUPPORT HAS MOVED!

Technical support has moved to ticketing - START HERE

Some self-help links ...

NOTE: Technical Support is ONLY available Monday - Friday (9 am to 5 pm), it can take a few days to get a response depending on the level of demand. Thank you for your patience.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Tetrahedral
Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:05 pm

x

[FIXED] UI missing clicks/hotkeys, menus sticking to the cursor under high CPU load

I am seeing loads of odd behaviour in 12.4.2 related to the UI when under high CPU load:

- Frequently mouse clicks are not being recognized meaning I have to click multiple times to get them to register
- Hotkey combos frequently miss or lose the modifier keys, meaning CTRL+Z turns into just Z (which mean means my next CTRL+drag selection turns into a frustrating zoom because my Pencil turned into a Magnifying Glass)
- Related to that, when holding ALT + Left/Right in the mixer to move channels, the modifier key frequently stops working and so the moving channel gets "left" behind as the selection scrolls away (since ALT+Left turns into just Left)
- Occasionally when opening a menu, the menu comes unglued from the menubar and follows the cursor around :shock: until I mash ESC. Usually this closes every one of my windows first before finally getting rid of the sticky menu.

I have about 15 channels, each routed to an individual mixer track, some 36 tracks in total (many of them are simple sends set up for PDC-aware routing) and ProQ2/ProC2 on a number of them and a few reverbs scattered about... a beefy project no doubt.

I also have all the UI options set to minimum - Don't Distract Me enabled, Force Refreshes off (tried both settings; makes no difference), etc

A couple of tests with pressing and holding ALT+Right to rapidly move a selected mixer channel across the mixer board:

- With all effects enabled, according to task manager, FL Studio is pegging more than one full cpu core at rest (16% cpu utilization in taskman on an 8 core machine, 77% in floops): Issues occur - the moving channel stops moving and the selection cursor moves instead
- With all effects disabled in the mixer: 9% CPU in taskman, 28% in floops. Issues still occur
- With all effects disabled in the mixer and all sound channels deleted: finally 1% in taskman, 6% in floops, issues do not occur

At all times, I can play the project with pretty much no audio issues with a sufficiently long asio buffer.

So I know how to bounce tracks out to audio etc, though it doesn't really help with this case since simply muting the source channels in either the channel rack or the mixer does not resolve the issue - I have to delete them from the channel rack entirely, making it difficult to restore them when I need to adjust the track.

So I suppose my question is - sure I expect degraded performance when everything is enabled, however I would still expect all UI actions to complete, even if they were slower? In particular the issue of modifier keys and mouse clicks getting lost/ignored is a real problem for productivity. If the UI operations were simply lagging it would not bother me.
Last edited by Tetrahedral on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Technical Support (Windows)”