Tales of a Saturday Night | Now on spotify etc. | Alternative Rock

Place to exchange music made in FL Studio with others

Return to “Song Exchange”

Forum rules
Songs uploaded to this forum must have titles in the following format:

Song Title | Free comment | Genre

If uploading files here please use mp3 format. Or use a Soundcloud or Clyp.it link that will play in the forum. If you want to share FL Studio projects please use the 'flp exchange' forum.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
steevm
Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:24 pm

x

Tales of a Saturday Night | Now on spotify etc. | Alternative Rock

READ THIS FIRST!
This is an old thread - the track has been reworked multiple times over the years. The final version has more guitars, reworked drums and a new mix. Additional vocals too. All in all it's quite different from the original version I posted in 2017. Huge thanks go to donkeytugger for his infinite patience as I've tried to (and failed) improve the drums over multiple iterations since updating this thread the last time (Sep 2018).

If you want to donate 0.000024c to, then click on one of the links below. If you don't you can always listen on Soundcloud...

https://www.deezer.com/us/album/242132212

The soundcloud links in this thread all go the latest version, which is here:

Mr D (+band) of these forums has also re-interpreted this track as ska; you can find the thread here.

I've kept the original post below for context, should you want to read through the whole thread. The rest of this post is over 2 years out of date!
=======================================================================================

ORIGINAL POST (SEVERAL YEARS OLD!)
Some of you might have heard this one already, as I posted it in a Looptalk thread a while back. I've since gone back to the track and tried to fix some of the glaring issues. The vocals had their stereo width set to 100% separated for example (don't ask me why), so they'd be completely inaudible in some positions when listening over speakers. I think the vocals are now properly audible throughout. Even on headphones, they were completely drowned out by the guitars when the guitars got turned up to 11.

My biggest problem with this track has been the complete lack of high end. Guitars being guitars they're all boomy and occupying the same frequency range. The drums are quite purposfully only kick and snare half the time, so there are no hihats at all, only cymbals in some sections.

When I first mixed this, I simply ran the master through an outboard exciter, which of course did add a lot of high end. It also added a lot of weird stuff though and it was really only a quick fix. I've now added a bit of an exciter to the one guitar that plays throughout, as well as the snare, which is also present most of the time. That seems like a better compromise to me.

It's obviously been brutally compressed in parts, but that was a conscious choice. If you think I went overboard, let me know.

And yes, that is what I wear when I go out to party. Well at least sometimes.
Last edited by steevm on Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:08 am, edited 12 times in total.

steevm
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:04 pm

x

Re: Tales of a Saturday Night | Revisiting a bad mix | Alternative Rock

Alter-Fox wrote:I loved it. The guitar is good...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steevm
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:53 pm

x

donkeytugger wrote:To me that sounds better, bu...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steevm
Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:12 pm

x

Really appreciating your help! Tales-break-at-...

steevm
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:01 pm

x

Re: Tales of a Saturday Night | Revisiting a bad mix - now with MOAR DRUM | Alternative Rock

All GR. Heavy: Kurt In Bloom Choppy dist guita...

Return to “Song Exchange”