You Will Never Know | It's a Wrap | 80s-ish-retro-pop

Place to exchange music made in FL Studio with others

Return to “Song Exchange”

Forum rules
Songs uploaded to this forum must have titles in the following format:

Song Title | Free comment | Genre

If uploading files here please use mp3 format. Or use a Soundcloud or Clyp.it link that will play in the forum. If you want to share FL Studio projects please use the 'flp exchange' forum.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
steevm
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:29 pm

x

You Will Never Know | It's a Wrap | 80s-ish-retro-pop

Edit: I've updated the track on SC based on feedback in this thread. Feedback on the final version is appreciated of course.

Here's the track:

Here's the old first post that is now outdated:

I've been working on a new track that's currently more or less complete in terms of arrangement and structure. I've done zero mixing (apart from basic level balancing) or mastering. Some of the parts are maybe still a little rough around the edges.

Here are some questions I have for you guys:
  • At the moment I have gone for a drum synth feel with the drums. The samples I'm using are from a DR-202, which is admittedly the wrong era, but I liked the sounds of them when browsing samples. But part of me wonders whether the drums should feature a real drum kit and emulate a real drummer. Or even, if a mix of the two would be appropriate. I've currently treated the drums as programmed, with everything heavily quantised and a limit number of patterns that get reused, as you'd use an actual drum synth. Your thoughts on the drums would be nice. Do they bother you? Are they too busy? Too repetitive?
  • Any suggestions for classic 80s electronic tom sounds?
  • The chorus strikes me as a little trite. The lyrics are pretty naff; I just needed something to sing. Maybe I can come up with something better. But the chord progression is also just a little bit too, hmmm, obvious? I don't know exactly what bothers me. Maybe it's fine, maybe I need to make subtle changes to the chords. Maybe there's nothing wrong with a pretty safe chord progression for the chorus. Again, your impressions are appreciated. I often have an aversion to the simple solution, just because it's too simple. I'm aware that that's not always a good mindset. I could be overthinking things.
  • What about the plucked synth sound in the outro? At the moment it sounds like a guitar pluck, and I like the sound. But is it the right sound? In particular, is the guitar that comes in later clashing with the synth, as they sound relatively similar both melodically and in terms of timbre. Or do you like the interplay? See my edit below, as I've changed this just a bit.
  • Is the overall mix too busy? I like the interplay of the guitar parts, but I worry that there's too much going on, especially because...
  • Reverb! There's a smattering of reverb on a send (NI RC 24) that a few tracks are routed to. But to really get that retro 80s sound, I'm assuming I will need to drench things in (very digital) reverb. Does the send approach make sense in this context? Is there anything I should apply reverb to separately? And what about the density of the mix in this context? Any suggestions on how to set up the reverb would be appreciated.
Other thoughts obviously also welcomed. Right now I'm focussed more on the arrangement and the choices of instrument than the mix itself. I still need to clean up some of the parts, so there's no point in picking apart the mix in great detail before the arrangement is in place.
Last edited by steevm on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.

jbradshaw47
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:04 pm

x

Re: You Will Never Know (Working Title) | Work in Progress -> Some questions | 80s-ish-retro-pop

Hey steevm, the link looks broken in your post,...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jbradshaw47
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 pm

x

Re: You Will Never Know (Working Title) | Work in Progress -> Some questions | 80s-ish-retro-pop

Weird. fixedlink.PNG Anyway, that's a cool tun...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steevm
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:53 pm

x

Ah yeah, the problem was that the track wasn't ...
Last edited by steevm on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steevm
Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:34 pm

x

I figured it would be smarter to just upload an...

Return to “Song Exchange”