LiveTools: make FL better in a live performance setting

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
liandri
Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:50 pm

x

LiveTools: make FL better in a live performance setting

I'm a professional live musician using a Surface Pro 3 live with some external synths when touring with my band. As LIVE and Cubase are no fun at all on touch screen devices, I looked into some alternatives and finally bought FL SB. So I prepare my projects in the studio on a full scaled desktop DAW and open these projects on the Surface live. Great job on the multi touch implementation and the vector UI of FL 12, IL!

However, as I'm now in preparation for the next tour and in constant rehearsals, I think some things can be done to make FL much better for live performances, not just on touch screens but also on notebooks or desktops. My current main concern is the simple task of changing projects. Not seamless swithching - that's a whole different story and even most synthesizers/workstations cannot do this without problems - just simple switching to the NEXT or PREVIOUS project. So here's a few mockups I did in Photoshop to demonstrate my idea, the working title I chose was "LiveTools".

New panel "LiveTools":
livetools-01.png
Two simple buttons to switch to the NEXT or PREVIOUS project in your setlist:
livetools-02.png
What should happen when pressing one of these buttons? In my opinion:
  • Stop current playback
  • Unload current project (optional: without dialog boxes or warnings, see settings below)
  • Load defined next or previous project
Of course, these linked projects need to be defined somewhere. The perfect place is already there, just extend the current "Project Settings" window, accessible via the SETTINGS button:
livetools-03.png
  • Select a project which should be loaded if pressing the NEXT button
  • And select one which should be called when pressing PREVIOUS
  • (Nice to have) Discard changes made in the project without notice when changing projects via NEXT/PREVIOUS if SilentMode option is checked.
That's it. Of course it would be even nicer to be able to select projects by MIDI prog/bank select from my main masterkey, but this would be a really good first step which would seperate FL from most competitors.

I hope many of you may find it useful! Feedback appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by liandri on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “To Do”