Chiptune synth idea

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Devest8
Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:36 am

x

Chiptune synth idea

I decided to do another fun synth mock-up in anticipation of FL Studio 20. Many people inquire about how to get/make chip-tune sounds in FL Studio, so I thought it would be cool if Image-line made one, this is what I came up with.
Fruity Bit Berry.jpg
Fruity Bit Berry is at heart a customizable wavetable 8-bit/chiptune style synthesizer that emulates oldschool game consoles and retro hardware. It's main oscillator allows you to draw your own waveform on the wavedisplay. Besides the user-defined shape, below the waveform display the user can select pre-configured standard waveforms: sine, triangle, saw, square, pulse, and white-noise.

The Length knob increases or decreases the sample-length of the waveform. Clicking the 'Erode' button will smooth the waveform, for instance a white noise oscillation will begin to sound like an FM organ sound, a triangle will become like a sine.
The Normalize option normalizes the output signal of the main osc, and hence removes any DC offset, as well as increases the volume of the osc. The Interpolation option Interpolates (smooths) the waveform, so that it sound more like a standard synth. If the smart draw option is selected, instead of simply "increasing the resolution" of the drawn waveform, it dynamically redraws it with smooth curves, with unique curve and tension values recalculated for every cycle, turning the synth into an organic sounding synth, and giving it many uses beyond what one expects from a chip tune synth.
Unless 'interpolation' or 'smart-draw' are selected, the waveforms are not bandlimited and hence produce aliasing.

The A and B tab allow one to switch between 2 different waveforms, and the slider allows you to morph between the two different waveforms. Per note morphing automation is assigned in the pianoroll as this is a FL Studio native format plugin.

This main oscillator is then paired with a sub oscillator (a square wave pitched one octave below).

The synth also includes a Poly and Mono mode with Glide, 2-poles LowPass or HighPass Filter, a LFO with multiple destinations

Using the built-in Delay and BitCrusher effects you can create even more noisy and retro sounds.
The final output can also be mixed with a bit of subtle noise with random static to emulate old electronics (perhaps some pitch drift should be included) as well as sent through a built-in tiny speaker impulse to emulate a hardware device for ultimate lo-fi goodness.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Morphal Project
Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:02 pm

x

Re: Chiptune synth idea

Oh, if only IL Team could notice this plugin an...

Devest8
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:47 am

x

Re: Chiptune synth idea

Thanks! That is why I came up with this idea, t...

Return to “To Do”