Please add folder tracks to the playlist!

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Ayjent
Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:34 pm

x

Re: Please add folder tracks to the playlist!

djfirewalk wrote:
Ayjent wrote: I completely agree, and you make great points on why the organizational tools and options need to be available.

I sometimes have a really hard time understanding what people love so much about the free form of it. It has more drawbacks than benefits without enough organizational options, and without ability to be linear if you want. You don't want to be linear fine, but why resist it for others is the part that drives me nuts when other posters respond with go use a different DAW or you chose the wrong DAW, as if it is some badge of honor to be FL Studio user that bucks the traditional DAWs. I know people think FL Studio has a bad reputation in some establish music industry and feel the need to defend the program and their use of it - although I rarely see or hear anyone outright dis FLS anymore (most are of the opinion - if it works for you, then use it) - but I can tell you that many people with several successful musical releases who I know who have worked or watched me work in this free form playlist space shake their head at the stuff I need to do and ask me why I use the program - then I show them some of the other features and they understand, but they all say the same thing - they need to fix that sequencer (i.e., Playlist) because it would drive me crazy having to do all that work that is really simple to do in other DAWs.
In FL there's always more than one way to do things, allowing for great flexibility and creativity. That's the beauty of FL. At least that's what most FL users keep saying. Exept this is not completely true: In the playlist there's two ways to work: organized or unorganized. And In FL you don't really have much choise when working with large projects, it will be organized no matter what you do. Because there's no organizational tools awailable exept from the "auto name track" and "group with above" option which is, sadly, not very helpful.

I think this is part of the reason many professionals don't consider Fl a professional DAW. They wold find this unorganized way of working very distracting and would eventually conclude that it's impossible to get anything done. I suspect this is why so many still consider it almost a toy, something you can start out on, but then as you learn you should move to something else, like Ableton, cubase etc. Because it certainly isn't due to lack of features overall! I keep reading on forums where people has switched to Ableton etc, and the same reasons are always the same: "It's too messy" "Windows everywhere" "too much menu diving" "too much work to do simple tasks" etc. Nobody is complaining about features lacking! It always has to do with the lack of organization!

I actually like working with the freeform aproach. It's very fast! I love the step sequencer and much else. I like how I can change a loop, and it will be changed everywhere.
So much great in FL! But there's this one thing that is holding me back as a producer, and that's the lack of organization in the playlist. This has forced me (like so many others) to start looking at other DAWs to try and get the job done. And that's just sad! Because Image Line could easily fix this. It's not in Image Line's interest to loose users to other daws because of this restricted way of working.

I can live with things taking a bit longer to do in FL, having to dive into menues etc instead of the easy solution many other DAWs has implemented in return for the awsome piano roll etc that FL has to offer. But what I can't seem to live with is this unorganized playlist. I simply can't work like that. I can color and name everything int he mixer and channel rack and route everything so it's nicely organized. I can add groups in my channel rack. But In the playlist I can't do anything.. It is what it is.
Every time I reach about 120 tracks it just stops.. My brain overloads. Too much information it seems. I keep trying and I keep failing.. I really need those folder tracks! I need to be able to spend my time producing, not searching trough a messy playlist just looking for stuff, like searching for a needle in a heystack.

The freeform, non linar way of working has some huge advantages, especially if you're into dance music with focus on midi editing etc. IT's very fast to just paint in clips. And the FL Piano roll is the best of any DAW!
If they had implemented some great organizational options like folder tracks, groupings etc like most other daws has, then it could be possible to work organized in FL studio too. The haters could no longer argue that FL is a toy, a daw that it's impossible to work organized in it because it's too messy. If anyone don't bellieve me then do a search on google, "fl studio switched to ableton" f.eks and you will see allot of people who has switched from FL studio due to this reason.

I suggest we fix this by adding some very simple yet extremely effective (and optional of course) changes to the playlist! Folder tracks and "drag and drop automation" would not be too hard to implement! And it would really speed things up.

I hope FL 13 will focus on implementing smart features to help keep things organized and boost workflow speed. By doing that they will also ensure that FL is regarded a more professional DAW by the overall community, as it will then be possible to work just as organized in FL as in any other DAW.

There's no logic in telling you that you choose the wrong DAW in response to you suggesting some improvements. That's like telling you that you should not drive a car because you can never remember where you pot your car keys, when the simple solution is to simply start placing the keys at the same spot every time. Keep it organized! Nobody is suggesting we turn FL into a linar DAW! We just want to be able to organize the playlist by hiding stuff that's just in the way. Those who don't feel they need such features could just choose to ignore it.

I really think this is something that should get priority because many, like myself seem to reach a point where they are unnable to keep working effectively in FL due to the lack of organization, and then they are forced over to other DAWs. I'm sure Image Line would rather have Deadmau5 keep using FL studio as his main DAW as that would be great publicity for Image Line. Everyone would want to have what Deadmau5 is using. But sadly, he too moved on to another DAW. Was it due to the inability to organize his projects? Who knows. I just know that adding smart features for organizing and speeding up workflow can't be regarded as a bad thing. :)
Good points. I have Ableton, too, because other producers I work with have it as well and I can work in it just fine. However, I don't prefer it - the Piano Roll as you point out in FL Studio is awesome, and Ableton's is just about the most awkward and clunky implementation of a piano roll I've ever used (which really comes down to it's draw and select features - which were poor implementation choices IMO). Recording and routing is also a little subpar and counterintuitive as well. The interface for arrangement isn't inspiring, but it does have some well though out features (except the left handed header that for some-reason drives me nuts). I know that there is no rational explanation for it, but I just don't like the way tracks sound when I create them in Ableton - I can edit and work on arrangements that have already started in Ableton, but the quality of my work when I start in Ableton seems to be garbage and there is no explanation that really makes sense - I've made all of my FPC presets the same for Ableton's drum sampler presets, I use the same 3rd party plug-ins, including Harmor and Gross-Beat. I've tried using it, it's just not for me in making tracks from scratch.

FireWalk
Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:21 pm

x

einfachfelix wrote:I hope that they will "add" ...

kocho1984
Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:10 pm

x

We don't know which tasks/features have the hig...

Ayjent
Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:19 pm

x

djfirewalk wrote: I'm sure more people currentl...

VELLE_music
Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:23 pm

x

I believe the playlist already has what you guy...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FireWalk
Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:31 pm

x

Mr_MaryOh wrote:I believe the playlist already ...

Jesse!
Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:07 pm

x

a better way to organize is awesome. I wanted t...

L. E. Nas
Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:48 pm

x

My feeling is to keep Playlist as it is and mak...

FireWalk
Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:41 pm

x

L. E. Nas wrote:My feeling is to keep Playlist ...

Ayjent
Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:15 am

x

djfirewalk wrote:L. E. Nas wrote:My feeling is ...

Scoox
Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:33 am

x

Well it's basically just Gol doing all the FL ...

Ayjent
Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:56 pm

x

Scoox wrote:Well it's basically just Gol doing ...

Icenburg
Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:27 pm

x

Is this a forum post with everyone agreeing wit...

FireWalk
Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:58 pm

x

Icenburg wrote:Is this a forum post with everyo...

gsirvine
Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:18 am

x

We need folders for the mixer also so we can ex...

Ayjent
Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:38 pm

x

djfirewalk wrote:True! The botom line is: Folde...

Scoox
Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:16 pm

x

Even though audio and automation can be trigger...

Ayjent
Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:13 pm

x

Scoox wrote:Even though audio and automation ca...

Ayjent
Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:23 pm

x

djfirewalk wrote:There are problems with organi...

Scoox
Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:36 am

x

Ayjent wrote:djfirewalk wrote:True! The botom l...

FireWalk
Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:10 pm

x

I agree, I think everyone does this. I too alwa...

Ayjent
Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:32 pm

x

djfirewalk wrote:I agree, I think everyone does...

FireWalk
Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:46 pm

x

einfachfelix wrote:well i disagree on this one....

kocho1984
Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:58 pm

x

Folder tracks functionality is crucial for many...

Scoox
Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:24 am

x

I'm sure they've heard us, this thread has been...

Scoox
Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:41 pm

x

einfachfelix wrote:Scoox wrote:I'm sure they've...

FireWalk
Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:50 pm

x

kocho1984 wrote:Folder tracks functionality is ...

einfachfelix
Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:20 am

x

djfirewalk wrote:kocho1984 wrote:Folder tracks ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FireWalk
Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:09 pm

x

einfachfelix wrote:djfirewalk wrote:kocho1984 w...

Dynaudio82
Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:06 pm

x

Bump this thread.... you cannot imagine how ea...

av7
Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:56 am

x

Re: Add sub tracks, Hide automation.

djfirewalk wrote:Gloomer: It's basically about ...

Icenburg
Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:20 am

x

This is a great idea, but i think if you're goi...

Scoox
Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:54 pm

x

Of course it's easy to do a mockup and ask for ...

Hrache
Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:27 pm

x

Group automation clips separately then patterns...

FireWalk
Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:22 pm

x

Max Pyger wrote:Group automation clips separate...

Return to “To Do”