Vertical snap of automation values + custom knob

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
D3Mens
Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:30 am

x

Vertical snap of automation values + custom knob

Something that I think would be really helpful: the ability to vertically snap values inserted into automation clips. I never saw anything similar on any daw, and it could possibly revolutionize the automation writing.
Think about let's say automating the arpeggiator speed, or any kind of knob in FL that has pre-snapped values in it. When you click on its automation, the new point value will snap to those pre-snapped ones, in this case 4,2,1,1/2,1/4 etc beats... (Obviously if you want to, so a small toggle button or a shortcut that switches to this mode like the snap/slide on the top left of the playlist would do the trick).
Or think about when automating delay time, so you could instantly write its snap values directly into the automation without the need to copy paste values for every point added.
Or for pitch, you could possibly write steppy microtonal/semitonal /octave automations, the more you zoom into the automation, the more precise is the vertical snap.
Think about all the time you spent copying and pasting values...

Another thing that I thought, and is quite similar but maybe easier to do: a custom knob (control surface) which has a custom snap mode, so you can write your personal snap function and then assign it to whatever parameter you need.
For example, you need a snap on values 13%, 64,5%, 99% and 99,357%? A tab that looks like the various keyboard mapping tabs in harmor could work. You could then create a steppy function that fits exactly to those values. Creating a function ad hoc with a regular knob is impossible when those values don't have a mathematical relationship, and even if they have it, you should find out the function that fits... Dark magic.
Obviously if you could create a function with real values like dB, ms or semitones instead of % would be even better! So please, real values everywhere too!
Hope that someone would appreciate those ideas.

Return to “To Do”