Consistent Workflow and One Clip Type in Playlist

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Ayjent
Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:23 pm

x

Re: Consistent Workflow and One Clip Type in Playlist

Dealing with audio clips and their volume automation in the Channel Rack and Playlist is driving me crazy! Why?

Example: Just recently me and the people I work on music with recorded several 30 minute sessions of two audio inputs and several midi inputs. Of course we have two really large audio clips, with some good stuff and a lot of stuff that has timing, volume, or other issues that require some manipulation of the audio file and automation such as volume.

I have some audio that I chopped up and sequenced in the playlist, but I want to copy part of that sequence of chopped audio segments (slices) into a unique clip to add an effect such as a delay. You can't designate the group of audio segments as a single, new audio clip, but you can take one slice and make it a new clip and then rebuild the sequence (not ideal). You could also render down the segment as a new audio file, but that is kind of a slow and awkward process that really takes you out of the editing groove, especially if you have to do it repeatedly (this is why people want an Ableton-like freeze/consolidate, it keeps them in the groove of editing in the playlist). The quickest way is just to proliferate numerous unique instances and jam up your channel rack and disassociate with any preexisting automation tied directly to the original instance of the clip (you are best setting the Automation to a particular Mixer track but you have to keep track and make sure that nothing else is assigned, but it still has issues) - you create the new automation clips as needed and move on.

This is one of the main thrusts of changing to a more consistent workflow as stated in the original post in this thread. Audio and Automation just don't have easy behavior to manage easily in the Playlist and they are referenced but not really anything you can manage that well outside of the playlist. If you allow audio manipulations in an audio type roll and automation parameter envelopes as part of patterns you have a mechanism to easily manage audio and automation.

This is the way to keep the modular architecture intact and resolve a lot of issues with audio and automation.

Scoox
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:23 pm

x

Nested playlists

FL would unlock a lot of possibilities if it ab...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scoox on Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “To Do”