Some Ideas — General Improvement

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
mihao
Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:43 am

x

Some Ideas — General Improvement

I'm coming from the Logic Pro 9 and Logic Pro X background and made a full transition to FL 12 late last year. Hence most of the stuff on my wishlist is inspired by Logic's workflow, but I think FL would greatly benefit from the following features:

1 | PIANO ROLL: Improved Pitch/Modwheel/etc. automation within Piano Roll. I love automation in the Playlist view in FL. I draw pitch bend automation quite a lot, so it'd be great to have this integrated within the Piano Roll for various typically used parameters (MIDI CC #), such as pitch bend, modulation wheel, etc. Preferably make it customizable too, so that we can choose/add parameters we want to have in the drop down list. Currently the pitch bend editor in the Piano Roll isn't precise enough. It'd be awesome to have the same Playlist-style editing for the Piano Roll events, with curves and all that good stuff. As shown in Tip #5 for Logic here.

2 | PIANO ROLL: Add sustain CC 64 to the Piano Roll editor. I know I can automate this within the Playlist or stretch note lengths, but that's different. It works really great in Logic to have this parameter right in the Piano Roll.

3 | PLAYLIST: Improved audio editing in the Playlist view. Think stuff like:
3A | Slice audio region at auto-detected transients and/or manually set markers (not sure if FL currently does that tbh),
3B | Snap to grid, like, exactly to that grid line, no matter how much the audio (or MIDI) region is nudged,
3C | Logic-style "Flex audio" handles at transients, within the playlist window, so that we can nudge stuff within audio regions with ease.

4 | MIXER: Improved SOLO mode. When a channel's output is routed to another channel (let's say a "Kick" is routed to a bus named "Drums"), and you solo the "Kick", there's no sound, since the "Drums" channel it's routed to is not simultaneously soloed. The same goes for Sends. I'd like an option where I can simultaneously solo a channel along with all associated channels routed to that particular track.

5 | MIXER: Enhanced routing. Ability to output a mix group/bus to another bus. As far as I know, this currently cannot be done in FL.

6 | MIXER: Folding mix groups. I'd like to be able to create and fold a mix group, similarly to what Logic's "Folder Stacks" do. Example here (in Logic this is reflected both in the Playlist and in the Mixer).

7 | MIXER: Display dB peak values. Add an option for the mixer to display dB peak values on each channel like most other DAWs do. Please. Like this.

8 | Parameter values. Also, when I click on a parameter (various knobs, swing slider, etc) i'd like to see the value it is set to currently, without having to move it a little bit and then trying to change it back to the way it was just so that i can see the value it's currently set to.

9 | Custom keyboard shortcuts. Please lol.

10 | Low Latency Mode button. Again, Logic-style button right in the Transport Panel, to allow us to temporarily activate the lowest possible buffer size AND temporarily disable latency-producing plugins, and record Midi data (or audio) without any major delay, and then quickly switch it back to our default set buffer size (without having to go over to Audio Settings and change it manually, takes too much time). It's especially useful on older machines. Like this.

11 | Bounce in place. Logic has it, Reason now does too, and it's a great time saver. It's relatively fast to record audio via Edison, but it doesn't beat having a dedicated Bounce in Place button or option in the drop down menu when you click that MIDI region. Like this.

Other, low priority additions:

12 | Capture as recording. For those who know Logic, this should be familiar too. Pretty much, while the track is playing and you hit any keys on the MIDI keyboard (without recording anything), Logic can then recall that MIDI data as if you recorded it, and create a take for each time the song looped.

13 | Convert audio to MIDI for chords. Ableton Live style. Low priority addition as well.

14 | MIDI Takes. Just like Audio take folders (not sure whether FL has those or not..), just with MIDI data.

EDIT | 2016-12-30

15 | MIXER SOLO IMPROVEMENT. Let's say I have a bus and I send all my drums to it. Then I create a Send to another bus for parallel compression. All good, except that I cannot solo just the bus I use for parallel compression. If I right click it, there's no sound. If I alt+right click it, the original drum bus is also audible. Can we have an option to solo a bus channel and have the original source channel muted?

16 | MIXER SENDS IMPROVEMENT. Please add options for Pre/Post-Fader and Pre/Post-Pan sends.

17 | VCA FADERS. Description 1. Description 2.

EDIT | 2017-01-02

18 | AUDIO EDITING OPTIMIZATIONS. FL Studio is great for MIDI, but there are many things which could be improved in audio editing department. Compared to Logic or Pro Tools it's lacking a bit. I.e. Add quick swipe comping for loop-recorded takes, add fades, crossfades, ability to adjust them later, preferably real-time generated like Logic's, and accessible from within the playlist instead of having to edit in Edison and move audio between the plugin and the playlist every time I need to adjust something minor (or major).

19 | STABILITY. Just that, in general. Stability improvements will be welcome. FL Studio is way more prone to crashing than Logic, and before I used to think it was because of my old, underpowered Macbook (bootcamp) or because of third party plugins, but on a new Windows machine with stock plugins it crashes sometimes too (especially when FL is processing something and I press a mouse button anywhere).

EDIT | 2017-01-15

20 | SAVE ENTIRE MIXER STATES. Just like you can save individual channel states as presets. Ability to save and import the entire mixer state (including routing and plugins) into an existing project would be great. I don't like to have plugins in the template, even bypassed, because A) it takes too long to open an empty session with all the plugins, and B) it eats up resources (SOME CPU, not a significant amount, but mostly RAM and lots of it, esp. when you have a third-party channel strip plugin on 30 inserts and bypassed Ozone on the master). I'm currently using a template with a full console-style setup, with no plugins. The routing in my template is kinda complex so I prefer to only use it for mixing, after all the songwriting is done, and compose in a totally empty project. So it'd be really awesome if I could simply import a previously saved mixer state and route existing sources from the channel rack to the newly imported mixer manually.

21 | DATA IMPORT IMPROVEMENT. Import data from other projects, Logic-style. I know you can export Project Bones in FL already. I hope it can be taken to another level, like this.
Last edited by mihao on Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 10 times in total.

nucleon
Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:18 am

x

Re: Some Ideas — General Improvement

Some nice ideas, for now here are some suggesti...

av7
Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:57 pm

x

RHYTHMALISM wrote:9 | Custom keyboard shortcuts...

KerrinGreally
Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:37 pm

x

nucleon wrote: 4 | MIXER: Improved SOLO mode. ...

Unlock
Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:23 pm

x

RHYTHMALISM wrote:7 | MIXER: Display dB peak va...

mihao
Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:15 pm

x

DistinctSouls wrote:EDIT | 2016-12-30 15 | MIX...

mihao
Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:55 am

x

nucleon wrote: 3B | Snap to grid, like, exactly...

D3Mens
Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:34 pm

x

nucleon wrote:Some nice ideas, for now here are...

mihao
Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:41 pm

x

DistinctSouls wrote:EDIT | 2017-01-15 20 | SAV...

KerrinGreally
Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:39 pm

x

Regarding VCA type functionality; In FL12 you c...

mihao
Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:25 am

x

DGBNE wrote:Regarding VCA type functionality; I...

Return to “To Do”