Region Render Matrix

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
TheDichotomist
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:16 am

x

Region Render Matrix

This region render matrix is a hugely powerful routing tool. It shows time selections on the top (marker/regions, selected clips, and playlist time selection), and playlist and/or mixer tracks down the side. A much more useful tool for sound design, especially for large projects, like film and game sound.

I created a written explanation here: http://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1222220

Quicker, however, might be to share a video on a DAW who already possess such an incredible tool, though it is lengthy, and doesn't demonstrate the full power of the region render matrix. (below)

I had an opportunity, in May, to speak with Mark Kilborn, one of the audio directors for Activision, who swears by the region render matrix. Here's a bit of hat he had to say when I asked him about it earlier today:

"The region render matrix is the feature. It allows me to set up my regions anywhere on the timeline, even if they overlap, and then for each marker/region I can tell it what bus/tracks to grab its render from (per marker stem renders). It will auto name the files for me, based on markers and the bus it renders from, so they're ready to go directly into the game engine. If I'm working to an animation or anything timecode sensitive, it can tag the frame number to the end of each render so I can use it when implementing into the game engine. And I can render everything out with a single function, so if I have to dive back into the session and make some tweaks to a number of things, I can render all the assets back out with two clicks.

No other DAW does this afaik. It's a huge workflow boost. Not really useful in a musical context I don't think, but huge for us."

^ Real nice guy, that one! Anyway, here's a video on Reaper's region render matrix. This, and my written submission, might clear up how exactly this feature could be useful.

Return to “To Do”