Printing Chords

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Alphons
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:22 pm

x

Printing Chords

Ok, this is a feature i desperately need ever since i imagined it for the first time.

Basically the ability to print the chord im playing into the piano roll with the sustain pedal.
Meaning, go to the piano roll of the pattern you want to edit with the right instrument selected, open a mode or a tool or whatever,

Play chord, press sustain pedal
play chord, press sustain pedal

and so forth and so on.

What i would be expecting to see is chords lined up one after the other with each one a fixed length and either default or played velocity.
Just not having to draw them would save time, and with all the shortcut and tools the piano roll has to offer, i can easily change those few bars to anything from a fancy rhythmic arp, to a Trance chord stab pattern in no time.

In that process, even the velocity difference would take no time, but from my arrangement workflow as a keyboarder/pianist, it just takes way longer to draw the individual notes then,

press a shortcut, play chord, press sustain pedal, play chord, press sustain pedal, ...
until i have the whole progression lined up and can start doing whatever i want with that.

This might work a bit differently, but the fundamental idea is, i can use both hands to play, can fiddle with the chord if i don't get what i want right away, or just want to try something, i can just play without pressing the pedal. And then when i have the chord i want i can just press that and i get that thing.
Sure not useful for a piano piece or something with soul, but when i do my supersaws, i don't want velocity differences and timing that is imperfect.

Alternative workflow might be to either record those chords, then chop them up and bring them to a static velocity with alt+x a multiplier of 0 and an offset of whatever the f**k i want to,
or just playing them, dumping the score log into the piano roll, chopping the right length, alt+x - yadayada, and then discarding the rest.

What i do nowadays is hold the chord with the sustain pedal, then draw the notes i am currently playing.
That takes way to long. I see great potential here to make this the fastest way to get a chord progression in a modern genre from my brain to my speakers. (tm) :P

Anyway, if you have any questions about this or a more elaborate explanation on this idea, you know where to find me.
But im sure you manage to find a bit more elegant solution to gap this workflow constraint.

Tagirijus
Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:28 am

x

Re: Printing Chords

I gues I somehow understand what your intention...

Alphons
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:25 pm

x

Well, to be fair, that is a possibility but sti...

peersh
Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:13 pm

x

Not exactly what you desire but I think this po...

NTO
Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:39 pm

x

peersh may have the most easy method. I'm go...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alphons
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:58 am

x

I'm not saying that this method would achieve s...

Return to “To Do”