Multicore stretching when loading a project

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Byproduct
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:31 pm

x

Multicore stretching when loading a project

The other thread about this got a bit messy, so here's a clear suggestion.

When loading a project, utilise extra CPU cores for stretching audio clips.

At the moment it seems (from the user perspective anyway) that FL loads everything in sequence with one core, and just waits for an audio clip to finish stretching before it goes on to load more of the project.

I understand loading a project is a complicated thing and has to be done in sequence. But analysing or stretching audio files is not, I guess? So there's a good opportunity to utilise multicore there.

If multicore stretching is difficult to implement while loading the project (I don't know anything about how FL code works), then how about just loading the project without stretching first? Then multicore stretch afterwards, when everything else is loaded.

I'm sure there are many situations where you have a lot of stretched samples. One scenario to which I've run many times is when collaborating between people who use different DAWs. We then have each track as a .wav file, each lasting several minutes, and if the tempo changes at some point, all clips have to be stretched. Loading then takes quite a while, and stretching easily takes >90% of the loading time.

Edit: before anyone replies about hard drive speeds or such, let me just point out that this is only a concern when you have long stretched audio clips in your projects. Loading is snappy if you don't.
Last edited by Byproduct on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “To Do”