New Mode "Send All Project MIDI Data to FL Keys Temporarily"

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
calum89
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:52 pm

x

New Mode "Send All Project MIDI Data to FL Keys Temporarily"

Recording MIDI data accurately for VST channels is always tricky if the attack time for the instrument is long - I find it easy to make timing and velocity mistakes if I'm recording notes on a soft synth for example. It's also difficult to make judgements when writing harmonies if the sound your working with is very complex. To get past these problems I often record my MIDI data in FL Keys, then cut and paste that data back into the other VST's piano roll. If the MIDI data sounds good in FL Keys then it's going to sound good on any VST - it might need time shifted due to the attack time but that's not a problem. Copying and pasting MIDI data back and forth like this is a drag and not very dynamic so I have an idea.

It would be seriously cool if there was a mode button in the snap panel that would, temporarily, send all MIDI data inputs written in the FL project and from external MIDI controllers to an instance of FL Keys while active, regardless of where the MIDI data is. In other words, allow users to record or hear any part of their project played on a piano or other basic instrument at any time without having to do anything - just turn the button on or off in the snap panel. Right click the button to bring up the FL Keys plugin instance to change the settings like environment, velocity etc. Could also mute the samplers when using this function as these don't contain any melodic content, usually just drums so you would not want to hear those droning away on a C note. This would really help with recording and song writing while keeping workflow nice and fast.

It doesn't have to be FL Keys, just a generic instrument that has fast attack, good sustain and that plays chords very cleanly so you can hear the harmonies well. FL Keys would be a good choice in my opinion. This would be analogous to writing a song on a piano or a guitar first - these instruments are good to write on because they are clean sounding, but this mode would be better than that because you would be able to switch back and forth instantly at any time, even if you had MIDI data in tons of patterns and on many different instruments.

Wouldn't be too hard to implement, since it's just MIDI data? Any thoughts on this?

Return to “To Do”