Panning Made Clearer

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
jayrmac
Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:28 am

x

Panning Made Clearer

I would like to suggest a unified system for specifying percentages of panning. Currently, if a Channel pan knob or a Mixer pan knob is panned 40% to the left, this is equivalent to an automation clip being panned 30%. Even more confusing, if I have a sample in the Channel Rack and the Channel pan knob is panned 40% to the right, and I load another sample in a different channel and want to automate that Channel's pan knob (or Mixer pan knob) so that it is also panned 40% to the right, I have to work out that it needs to be panned 70%. This is because 0% panning means no panning in the Channel Rack and Mixer, but means panned hard left on an automation clip. And whereas 50% panning to the left or right in the Channel Rack or Mixer means panned half-way to the left or right, in an automation clip it means no panning.

My suggestion is to standardize the percentages. Whether you automate a Channel Rack pan knob, a Mixer pan knob, or a Channel Sampler pan knob, you get an automation clip with a horizontal line through the center (provided you haven't adjusted the knob before making the automation clip). This is designated 0%, not 50% as at present. This is clearer as the sample isn't panned 50% of anything. You can then place an automation point anywhere from 0% to 100% below the line (left panning) or from 0% to 100% above the line (right panning). This would mean that automation clips and pan knobs use the same system to specify how much panning is applied.

Return to “To Do”