Idea for more accurate score recording: Pedal input represents beats

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Terminal Error
Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:07 pm

x

Idea for more accurate score recording: Pedal input represents beats

Here's my idea that should allow for more precision when recording a live score into the piano roll. It's hard to explain but I'll try my best:

...(FL Studio supports pedals, right? I've never tried using them before)...

Problem:
I like to use live recording for inputting complex drum rhythms and such because it's less time-consuming than using a mouse. However, it can be difficult to stay on tempo (especially when recording drums at 200 bpm), even when the metronome is on. My recordings gradually get too fast or too slow as I'm recording, and then I have to stop for a moment to recalibrate myself.

Solution:
I was thinking of having a feature where the pressing on a pedal acts as the metronome, each press representing each beat (press the pedal on each beat as you record your score with a midi keyboard). As long as you have good hand-foot coordination (lol), it should work. What would make this feature special is that even if your pedal-pressing/input-recording isn't consistent with the tempo, the program would automatically readjust your score to match the tempo your song is set to, by recognizing and readjusting each pedal input to match each beat. This in turn would readjust your score input like an accordian, as well as quantize each note if desired.
This feature would also allow you to immediately change the recording tempo (without having to stop) when you're recording a section of score that would be too difficult to record at the desired tempo.

Again, as long as your hand and foot can stay in sync with each other, this idea should work, and you wouldn't need to worry about staying on tempo. One downside to this is that you couldn't use a pedal for sustainment while recording, but I never do that anyway. Also, you would probably want to disable the metronome while you're recording this way.

I've also considered this feature being applied to audio recording, but I don't think it would sound too well in the end, with having all the segments compressed/stretched out.

Also, FPC needs a silence-trimming feature (if there isn't one already). I have quite a few drum hits that have a quarter-second of silence at the start.

Schwa Iska
Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:12 pm

x

Well, one way to deal with this is to use the r...

whiligo
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:19 pm

x

I am skeptical of this idea. I think if you slo...

Schwa Iska
Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:42 am

x

whiligo wrote:Alternatively you could force you...

Return to “To Do”