Re-ordering stuff in FL (mouse wheel, keyboard, drag-n-drop)

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Scoox
Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:50 am

x

Re-ordering stuff in FL (mouse wheel, keyboard, drag-n-drop)

I am posting this thread after reading a reply on the below thread: Alphabetical pattern list

1) No re-order by drag-and-dropr: The original poster wanted to know if there was a way to re-order the pattern list. Many people +1'ed the feature request. Eventually forum member HeathW replied to the thread and explained that it is possible to re-order the pattern list using Shift+Ctrl+Up/Down. I would never have guessed that, and I couldn't find it in the user manual (although it maybe there somewhere). I wonder how many people know this. The point is, it's a pity that such an essential feature is so counter-intuitive that people who've been using FL for several years (judging by their "member since" date) still don't know this feature exists. By contrast, drag-and-drop to re-order is usually learnt within minutes of the first run in applications that support it, often as a result of a "happy accident".

2) Inconsistent keyboard and mouse actions:: I think I am definitely not the only one to think that the choice of modifier keys for re-ordering stuff in FL is not consistent across the board:

The above table tells us a few things:

● Re-ordering mixer FX slots requires no modifier keys. As forum member "roms" pointed out, directly scrolling over things to move is somewhat dangerous.
● Laptops without a mouse wheel have no way to re-order Playlist tracks and mixer FX slots.
● Some things can be re-ordered with the mouse-wheel only, others with the keyboard only, others with both. This can be confusing and leads to constant trial and error.
● Different modifier key combinations are used for different context, rather than always using the same modifier key.

In summary, consistent modifier key choices and more drag-and-drop would lead to a more intuitive workflow.

Return to “To Do”