Playlist - Please dynamic 'Time segment' colorization when zooming in/out

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
D3Mens
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:12 am

x

Playlist - Please dynamic 'Time segment' colorization when zooming in/out

I noticed this just now but this thing has been bugging me forever.

As we have Line snap mode that changes dinamically the more we zoom in/out, so would be nice if the Time segment alternate coloring would follow the same principle.

When I zoom out I expect the Playlist grid to be segmented every 4/8/16 bars but when I zoom in I need it to be segmented every 1bar/1beat/etc.

I always keep it at 4bars to better see the overal structure of a song but it gets disorienting as soon as you zoom in. You don't understand where you are on grid and the timeline numbering isn't really helpful.

See here for example:
The grid lines don't give any hint about where a bar ends nor where am I globally. The timeline numbers are the only thing but they don't stand out at all, especially when you have a red timeline selection, also, it is pretty hard for the eyes to orientate with the bar numbers, then move your eyes down the grid lines to reach the area you're working on. It makes my eyes cross almost as an optical illusion.
Where am I?
where am I.png
In Ableton for example you can see this correctly implemented: the alternate coloring follows the amount of zoom.

In Bitwig instead you don't have the alternate coloring but grid lines have different thickness which already helps a lot.

Please IL add this feature to the new Playlist!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “To Do”