FPC layers should have Sampler Channel Settings Windows

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Return to “To Do”

[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]

Should the samples in the FPC have settings windows like the Sampler Channels (clicking on the sample brings up a sampler settings dialog)? This would be an easy solution to make the FPC useful. Please read on.

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 77

survei
Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:26 pm

x

FPC layers should have Sampler Channel Settings Windows

This way, it's like we could have Sampler Channels in the Step Sequencer AND in the FPC. Imagine this: you click on a waveform in the FPC, and the Sampler Settings window for that waveform comes up, allowing you to have all those wonderful envelopes and filters you get in the Step Sequencer's sampler channels. It wouldn't change the FPC's GUI, and it wouldn't require the development of completely new tools.

What I've noticed on the Image-Line forums is that every few months, someone posts a request for a new feature to the FPC (more recently, pitch envelopes (link), but other requests have been for trim and offset knobs (link), layer amp envelopes (link) and filters(link1, link2), and for sampler-settings-style pitch control(link), as well as other sampler channel tools like quick fade (link)). I thought about this for a long time and I realized that most of the posts are requesting for features that Sampler Channels have.

The reason is simple, users of FL Studio first get accustomed to having the tools of Sampler Channels for EVERY single sample, and then when they try to use the FPC, they find that the tools they're used to using are not there; then they either give up on the FPC or they try to request the features.

Keep in mind, if this request is implemented, it would NOT change the GUI of the FPC, because the Sampler Settings would appear in a new window. Though, if Image-Line wanted to, they could sell a VST version of this by simply docking the sampler settings window to the side, it would be a low-CPU, sensible alternative to the overblown drum samplers in the market right now. However, this doesn't matter to most users, what matters is that if Image-Line brought Sampler channels into the FPC, they would be leaders in the DAW market: the first to supply a DAW that comes with a great drum plugin.

Simply put, compared to the layering sound design possibilities in the Step Sequencer, the FPC is extremely limited, because it doesn't have many layer-specific controls. For instance, it doesn't have any envelopes for the LAYERS within the pads. But the FPC would be awesome and fill a void in my production if the individual waveforms were like Sampler Channels, in that you can click on EACH and EVERY individual waveform and have a Sampler Settings window come up for every waveform. This would be an easy solution to the FPC's problem of not having much control over the sounds of the layers. It is common in today's production to make custom drum sounds by combining multiple drum sounds. The waveforms are our clay from which we sculpt our sounds from using tools that are in the Sampler Channels.

I want an easy way to play multi-velocity custom layered kits on my keyboard or drum pad, that can have each pad going to a different mixer track (which the FPC can do), but I also need sound design abilities. Therefore, there are many reasons to push for a better FPC (imagine programming all your drums in one piano roll, saving custom drum sounds as FPC pad presets for further tweaking, instead of having to bounce them to wavs, making beats that don't sound quantized, or making beats faster, etc.)

I have been going around the FL Studio community and here's some of the feedback I've received from this idea:

"Now I'm reading that, I think that's a pretty good idea. It wouldn't clutter up the interface and would be useful." -LikeTwilight, member of the Flipside Forum

"While I agree with the idea and it would be a great addition to the FPC. It would not make the FPC the first great drum machine in a DAW. Most DAW's already feature great drum samplers, that said it would not hurt to bring FPC up to bar with the competition. Since the sampler channel is already intregrated in to the code, I imagine it would not be that time consuming to call it up inside the FPC (coding wise)." -Sabotage, a moderator at Warbeats

"This is one area that FPC is lacking and would allow so much control of the indvidual samples and does not seem that a great a change to the software but would also be one of the most useful. I trully would love to see this implemented." -boomtopper, Image-line forums.

"there are no envelopes on the layers within the pads, this is true and im finding no work around for that yet, and further more as i explore i agree with you that these features would surely be beneficial. It would be nice to click a loaded sample in a pad and bring up a sampler dialog, each sample having its own dialog." -Brolance, creator of FL Studio tutorial site Makeitlikeapro.

e.g.:
Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:03 am

x

Well, you are persistent.

chj
Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:21 am

x

I'm all for this idea, would definitely take th...

brolance
Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:44 am

x

It would definitely be a big improvement to the...

naesse
Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:02 pm

x

brolance wrote:The FPC is very useful, but i ca...

VibraSound
Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:47 pm

x

I would like to see FPC with sample start and s...

JOJOLO
Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:16 pm

x

Why not use the step sequencer instead of FPC ?...

GGonz
Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:42 pm

x

JOJOLO wrote:Why not use the step sequencer ins...

naesse
Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:58 pm

x

survei
Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:10 pm

x

Last edited by survei on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boomtopper
Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:15 pm

x

One advantage of the FPC is that it allows you ...

chj
Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:32 am

x

Last edited by chj on Mon May 11, 2009 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

JOJOLO
Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:02 pm

x

chj wrote:JOJOLO wrote:Why not use the step seq...

survei
Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:39 am

x

JOJOLO wrote: This said , It would be cool if y...

Dion
Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:49 pm

x

survei wrote:We are so close, so close... such ...

brstma
Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:07 pm

x

I'm all for the idea. I love FPC and prefer it...

GPU
Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:10 pm

x

Dion wrote:survei wrote:We are so close, so clo...

e.g.:
Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:46 pm

x

I'd still rather have an articulator (ala Slice...

davidbuhau
Fri May 01, 2009 8:47 am

x

GPU wrote:Dion wrote:survei wrote:We are so clo...

e.g.:
Fri May 01, 2009 1:06 pm

x

davidbuhau wrote:armchair software developer of...

outstretchedarm
Fri May 08, 2009 4:14 am

x

well, as a person who a) uses the SS sampler c...

survei
Sat May 09, 2009 12:52 am

x

^In reply to outstretchedarm Wow, it seems you...

outstretchedarm
Tue May 12, 2009 2:29 am

x

survei wrote:^In reply to outstretchedarm I was...

frollo9386
Fri May 29, 2009 11:31 am

x

It's a good idea... FPC is good, but more flexi...

survei
Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:23 am

x

I found a workaround for midi keyboard-users, i...

survei
Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:47 pm

x

48 votes "for"... (as of July 2010).

GratuiTous
Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:03 pm

x

Last edited by GratuiTous on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dion
Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:00 pm

x

[quote="BaNaNaBoY"]Ya that sounds awesome man, ...

Harmar
Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:40 am

x

FPC with more sound design features (pitch enve...

survei
Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:59 am

x

Harmar wrote:FPC with more sound design feature...

Return to “To Do”