"New-age" is a bad name for a genre, and should not exist. Change my mind.

Discuss how to use FL Studio

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”

Forum rules
Please read them here.
[You can only see part of this thread as you are not logged in to the forums]
Muzout
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:24 am

x

Okay, lets start by dissecting Wikipedia's definition of "New-age" music (https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/New-age_music).

From my understanding what defines new age music are:
1. if a song has acoustic instruments and electronic instruments
2. if a song has an atmosphere (not necessarily pad sounds. the song just needs to create an atmosphere)
3. "originally" the genre started with out no lyrics, but now they some songs can have lyrics.

Now here's why "New-age" is a bad name.
point 1:
Combining different types of instruments is nothing new. A good example of this is an orchestra. Orchestra take instruments from everywhere. It doesn't matter what instrument as long as it sounds good. Also how would you feel if they called orchestras "new-age" when they hit the scene.
Point 2. Creating atmosphere is also nothing new. People created pieces in baroque time which have atmosphere. Just because we might be able to do it "better", doesn't mean that it's new, or good.
point 3. (not related to 3.) "New-age" is a bad name because it simply implies there is an old, inferior, age of music. Also just imagine when you ask someone what their favorite genre is. "Ooohh yesss, I like NEWW AAGE." Trust me, no one wants to go through that.

In conclusion, "New-age" is bad and should not exist, sorry, I mean the name is bad and should not exist.

Thanks for reading my ted talk. The donation box is up the stairs and on the right.

Muzout
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:42 am

x

SuperTRev wrote: New Age is the name of the rel...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FL Studio Users Forum (Looptalk)”